Any idea as to what was in it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you know I got this bottle yesterday, but I wasn't able to see what was in it in my research. If it was soda pop, my guess is the brand is long gone, but what flavor? I'm not thinking it was mineral water. The ones I've seen tend to tell you, like the Pluto Springs I had seen yesterday there. So, what do you think? If it helps, my friends here identified it as a Baltimore loop closure, and it is a ten-paneled mug base. It's under 7 inches high, and is called 'hutch-like but not a Hutch.' 1890s. Muskegon bottling Works piece. All I know on it.

Attachments

• 114abdbed8a24c3fa17020673ff784b0.jpg
    114abdbed8a24c3fa17020673ff784b0.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 51ec2237c0f2463baf652104080aff7b.jpg
    51ec2237c0f2463baf652104080aff7b.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 83

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It could have held anything the bottling company bottled, and bottling companies usually bottled a full line of sodas. It would have held a label saying what the contents was, I assume. Though I'm not sure I've ever seen a soda that old with a label on it.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Aww, alright. Well, thanks! :)
Problem is, what I can find on the history of the company will not tell me much at all.

sunrunner

Reaction score
99% present most huchs were soda or sodawater.very few wood be beers.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
But what kind of soda pop was it!? I was hoping someone could give me an idea as to what flavor. Someone has to know. Muskegon had over 50 bottling companies--last I read it numbered 70. Someone deeply intrigued with cities that have a large bottling history must know this bottling works company! Sadly I only have a handful of bottling companies' bottles, but would one day like to attain every single bottle made for or in Muskegon possible.

celerycola

Reaction score
MUSKEGON BOTTLING WORKS. 1884
The Muskegon Bottling Works is one of the pioneer enterprises of the city, having been established in 1867 under the name of “The City Bottling Works” which name it retained till last summer when new buildings were erected at the corner of Barclay street and Michigan avenue, new machinery put in and everything put in first class order for manufacturing. The size of the new building is 40x80 feet and two stories high. The capacity of the works is now sufficient for turning out daily two hundred and fifty cases of pop, two hundred and fifty cases of ale, and bottled beer, cider etc. in proportion. The firm does an extensive business and makes shipments on a large scale. The works are under the management of Mr. Wm. NINNEMAN, Jr. who is also one of the proprietors.

jays emporium

Reaction score
Almost all the bottling companies at that time made fruit flavors like orange, grape, cherry, lemon. Some made root beer and cream soda. Anyway, they put all the different flavors in the same bottle and either put a label on the bottle with the flavor or you could just tell by the color.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
CeleryCola, newspaper article? I love it!
Jay's Emporium, alright. So I am unlikely to discover what flavor it was as there likely isn't a label left on one. Well, thank you!
Tftfan, thank you!

I'll just admire it and wonder. A mystery is always fun--let's the imagination go.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac