Any idea what this little thing might be worth???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Any ideas on this one yall? I have boxes and boxes of these type of bottles, my grandfather and great Uncles owned a very large construction company. Back in the early 60's the city of Houston contracted them to dig up the old Houston city dump. After they dug down about 15 feet, the dig stopped as to what they were digging up. The city of Houston shut the work down and called in an archeological dig team to excavate. Not before my grandfather and uncles made off with some of loot lol.

Attachments

• Resized_20220622_134019.jpeg
    Resized_20220622_134019.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 65

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Any ideas on this one yall? I have boxes and boxes of these type of bottles, my grandfather and great Uncles owned a very large construction company. Back in the early 60's the city of Houston contracted them to dig up the old Houston city dump. After they dug down about 15 feet, the dig stopped as to what they were digging up. The city of Houston shut the work down and called in an archeological dig team to excavate. Not before my grandfather and uncles made off with some of loot lol.
If you're asking about value on these ones, I'm afraid it's not much. $5-10 range. They're extremely common in the UK and not too uncommon to find here. If you've got any stoneware marked from the US, especially Texas, that would be of far more interest to collectors. I'm surprised that an archaeological team would have had any interest in a dump of that era in the early 60s, that would be roughly like doing an archaeological dig on a dump from the 1950s today. Even today archaeologists almost never have any interest in a late 19th century dump without it having some additional significance beyond age.

Reaction score
If you're asking about value on these ones, I'm afraid it's not much. $5-10 range. They're extremely common in the UK and not too uncommon to find here. If you've got any stoneware marked from the US, especially Texas, that would be of far more interest to collectors. I'm surprised that an archaeological team would have had any interest in a dump of that era in the early 60s, that would be roughly like doing an archaeological dig on a dump from the 1950s today. Even today archaeologists almost never have any interest in a late 19th century dump without it having some additional significance beyond age.
They were digging up stuff from the 1800's.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've heard of them stopping excavations & construction workers before but only if they hit something of Historical Value like long lost city, Indian Burial Grounds, Military Burial Grounds, Ancient Ruins, ect., ect., I believe there was a big dig in San Francisco many years ago that got stopped for some historical reason like 1906 earthquake finds or something? As for the Bottles I'd like to see what else you found. The Stoneware Ink is common, I've dug them here in Detroit area. LEON.

Reaction score
Literally stuck my hand in a box of bottles and pulled this one out. I have so many boxes its ridicules lol.

Attachments

• Resized_20220628_102954.jpeg
    Resized_20220628_102954.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Resized_20220628_102957.jpeg
    Resized_20220628_102957.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
I've heard of them stopping excavations & construction workers before but only if they hit something of Historical Value like long lost city, Indian Burial Grounds, Military Burial Grounds, Ancient Ruins, ect., ect., I believe there was a big dig in San Francisco many years ago that got stopped for some historical reason like 1906 earthquake finds or something? As for the Bottles I'd like to see what else you found. The Stoneware Ink is common, I've dug them here in Detroit area. LEON.
Thanks for the info. They were digging up saddles, carriages, old guns, old newspapers. I have complete newspapers from Houston going all the way back to the late 1870's. From little things to major events in Houston and Galveston.

hemihampton

Reaction score
We were just talking about the Duffys in this post. Link below. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora