Any Idea what this was?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Here is one I found off Portsmouth N.H. that I have had packed away. I was hoping to find out what it was and if it has any value. I was told some time ago it may have been embalming fluid. I just think its kind of a bold and odd statement for such a product. The forum wasn't around when I found it so hopefully someone out there might know for sure, The bottle stands nearly 11" tall with a 4" by 4" smooth base. There is a graduated measure on the backside in increments of 4 to 60. Thanks for looking. Kevin

4E0701348E874C928466F2424B04F11D.jpg

Attachments

• 4E0701348E874C928466F2424B04F11D.jpg
    4E0701348E874C928466F2424B04F11D.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 88

coldwater diver

Reaction score

D08D2643E7B346CFB4CA24BF987FB572.jpg

Attachments

• D08D2643E7B346CFB4CA24BF987FB572.jpg
    D08D2643E7B346CFB4CA24BF987FB572.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 83

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Interesting Coldwater. I've never seen another. You wouldn't think that you'd have to puff up your embalming fluid. Not too many picky customers . . .

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I know what you mean Bob which is why I questioned the embalming. One thing is absolutley sure is its a heavy bottle. It was uncovered by the propwash of some large boats that were doing dock work. I had been over the area many times and just like magic it was sitting on top on this particular dive clean as a whistle.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
You know -just thinking about the embossing- it seems to me that the bottle is advertising 'grades' (if you will) of the product. That is, whatever this bottle contained, the contents came in different qualities.

O.K. IS ABSOLULTELY SURE - Perhaps this means that their okay quality is guaranteed to 'surely' perform its function. You could save a little in price but not get as good of quality.

On the other hand, "SPECIAL" IS KING OF ALL - If you invest in the special quality, you will get the very best product available.

Does that make sense?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Oh and I love how you found it. I can't say that its happened to me very often though. I have seen bottles just laying out but it was usually on a first visit to a spot.

I'm off topic on this but I thought you could relate. One time I saw what looked like a perfectly shaped early blob top but made out of mud. Of course, I'm looking for bottles so I figure every gob of mud I see I'm going to imagine is a muck covered bottle. I decided to squish the mud blob for being cruel and making me think it was a bottle. Whne I squeezed it, I felt a blob under the mud. I pulled it out to see a beautiful torpedo shaped early hutchinson bottle in fairly nice condition. Funny eh? Okay. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
It is embalming fluid. Even though this sect of poison bottles is not our area, it is under that umbrella. I had to do a search for it. It's not in my books, but one of out members has a huge collection of such and ran a nice article of his collection in a recent newsletter last year. An updated list is in the works beyond what is in the Kuhn's books. But as of what I have, I don't have a KZ # for ya...but at least ya know for sure now.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Kevin,

Cool bottle! Reggie had one with Poison on the back along with the graduations:
OKSureB.jpg
OKSure.jpg
"POISON / {graduations} / O.K. IS ABSOLUTELY SURE. / "SPECIAL" IS KING OF ALL. Front Back
Aqua tinted glass, height 11", BIM with single collar lip and smooth base, near mint condition, only condition issue is a spot below the P in POISON that is an open bubble on the inside of the bottle, graduations marked from 4 to 60 ounces, listed as KS-6 in Kuhn's Poison Workbook (I), embalming fluid bottle, For Auction at eBay - ends Sep 14, 2002." From Reggie's Rumpus Room.

ClaraBow.jpg

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Odd...regardless of shapes, Bug killers and Embalming fluids had their own categories... So I didn't bother looking in the Square lists for this bottle...but sure as...well, you know....there it is. KS-6. Even in the book at the end of the description says it's embalming fluid. I can only guess that category was created after this one was logged into the square list.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac