Any info on this 5 Gal mineral bottle "Williams-Acme Springs-Health Water-Norfolk VA"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KVirginia

Reaction score
I inherited this large 5 Gal mineral springs water bottle that is embossed "Williams- Net Contents 5 Gal - Acme Springs- Health Water- Norfolk VA - Springs - Bowers Hill VA". " Williams and the last line are curved so the title could be "Williams Springs from Bowers Hill VA". I see that there is an old area of Virginia near the Dismal Swamp called Bowers Hill. It is now part of Norfolk. I can find no information about the springs or the bottler. Any ideas on age or value?
Acme 001.jpgAcme 004.jpgAcme 005.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Can't tell you anything about it, but it's a killer carboy, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing it with us. Wish I could inherit something like that!

shotdwn

Reaction score
To me it looks like a early water cooler bottle with the upside down printing. When placed in the cooler it would read right side up.

sandchip

Reaction score
To me it looks like a early water cooler bottle with the upside down printing. When placed in the cooler it would read right side up.

Exactly. I knew a fellow that had one embossed like that from Milledgeville, Ga. that I sure would love to have had. Don't know what became of it.

KVirginia

Reaction score
Thanks! I would be interested in selling it but have no idea of value and it would be difficult to ship.

sunrunner

Reaction score
this kind of bottle do's not sell well , becus of the size . this carboy may have been made up to 1918 to 1920.

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
A quick search of newspapers.com, "Williams Spring" found newspaper advertisements in the Daily Press, Newport News, Virginia for Williams Indian Spring Health Water and Williams Mineral Spring Health Water. For sale at the Sunshine Market. January 1934. Thought: the "Indian" might be an error -- it appeared in just one ad, and the following ads were for "Mineral", as if perhaps a correction. More research needed, clearly. The cork opening suggests a date in the 1920's, or perhaps late teens or early thirties - doubt 1934, but possible - by then the crown top was mostly used.
Searches for "Acme Spring", and "Williams Mineral" found nothing useful.
If you still have the bottle and are wanting to add it to my collection, for a reasonable consideration, please let me know. (How?) Shipping not terribly difficult.
Carboy collector (mostly California, but older nice elsewhere ok too.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado