Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Any thoughts on this bottle?

Mjbottle

May 22, 2020
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this one for me. I have what looks to be a wine bottle that i have always myself dated to around 1900+.i was wondering if i was correct.it is light green with an aplied lip ring,beveled lip, kick up base with a nipple in the middle,no mold seams and the only 2 bubbles i can see are in the kick up base.if it helps any, i found it in a dump that the only other bottles i found were made in england.

Attachments

embe

Jul 14, 2019
For the sediment? That actually makes a lot of sense. I learned this was called a kick-up but hadn't thought of the practicality of this design.

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
I've found several of those in the creek through the years, also in olive green, that I always dated to turn of the century as well.

Harry Pristis

Jul 24, 2003
Northcentral Florida
For the sediment? That actually makes a lot of sense. I learned this was called a kick-up but hadn't thought of the practicality of this design.
"Sediment trap" is just one of several theories on the origin of the kick-up. It evolved into a standard French form without much trapping utility by the late date of this bottle.

For much of the 19th Century, bottle volume was not standardized. Some bottles were blown to a standard exterior size, but were given an out-size kick-up to reduce the actual volume of wine. These were known as "cheat bottles." It's a form of marketing not too dissimilar from modern oversized packaging.

winekickups.jpg

winechampagnefloridapair.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
athenabelle20