Any value in these damaged historical flasks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
I got these historical flasks for free in a box lot I bought. My question is do they still have value even with damage? And if so how much, just for reference?

First up is what is a heavily cracked up GI-31 Bust of Jackson / Washington :

20210513_101742.jpg

20210513_101749.jpg

20210513_101808.jpg

Next is what is simmilar to a GII-28 but is open pontil. I believe it is a double eagle from Louisville Glassworks. Does anyone know GI type on this one? It has a severely damage top and a cracked in the base radiating up the side 3 inches.
20210513_101834.jpg

20210513_101841.jpg

20210513_101845.jpg

Hopefully I can get some input of value and info on these as I don't usually get stuff this old.

Thanks,
PlaneDiggerCam

American

Reaction score
I got these historical flasks for free in a box lot I bought. My question is do they still have value even with damage? And if so how much, just for reference?

First up is what is a heavily cracked up GI-31 Bust of Jackson / Washington :

View attachment 225090
View attachment 225091
View attachment 225092

Next is what is simmilar to a GII-28 but is open pontil. I believe it is a double eagle from Louisville Glassworks. Does anyone know GI type on this one? It has a severely damage top and a cracked in the base radiating up the side 3 inches.
View attachment 225093
View attachment 225094
View attachment 225095
Hopefully I can get some input of value and info on these as I don't usually get stuff this old.

Thanks,
PlaneDiggerCam
They definitely still have value. It may be 90% less than an undamaged version but it still could be relatively substantial. Cracked is much better than pieces missing. A thousand dollar flask with cracks could easily still be worth a hundred.

opmustard

Reaction score
Yes, they have value. I see cracked bottles sell all the time. You might be surprised at what you can sell them for.
Both of your historical flasks are highly collectable.
opmustard

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
I've occasionally noticed cracked historical flasks sell in the 30 - 50 dollar range. Not sure why that is? Usually a crack or other damage to any bottle will destroy it's value and desirability. That is, unless something of exceptional rarity. Also whether the damage is clearly visible or not? Damage inside the lip or on the bottom is a lot more tolerable than a clearly visible outside surface crack.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I've occasionally noticed cracked historical flasks sell in the 30 - 50 dollar range. Not sure why that is? Usually a crack or other damage to any bottle will destroy it's value and desirability. That is, unless something of exceptional rarity. Also whether the damage is clearly visible or not? Damage inside the lip or on the bottom is a lot more tolerable than a clearly visible outside surface crack.
I've seen $55 for a cracked violin scroll flask. Not sure the size. Damage is never good for low priced collectables. More acceptable on rare extremely hard to find valuable ones.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
You will need to identify them to find what the value would be if they were not damaged. To do that you need access to McKearin & Wilson's book on Bottles and Flasks and their Ancestry. There is an tremendous difference in value from one to another, and a slight variation in color can change value by a factor of 10. There is an on-line auction that is just starting at American Glass Gallery.com that has a number of flasks listed. This is top line stuff, but check the differences in listed value from one to another.

sandchip

Reaction score
Those two particular varients in those colors that you're showing are going to have very little value on the market. I would enjoy them in the window for the great pieces of history that they are. Not saying that no damaged flasks would have any value. Rarities like the Tippecanoe / Northbend cabin and the GII-57 JPF Eagle / Cornucopia have sold for thousands with holes and cracks.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky