Anybody Like Jars?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I used to swim past old pickle jars with regularity; then one day, I picked one up, had a good look and realized they were pretty nice looking glass. Since then I've been keeping the odd one and I now have a nice grouping; they sit on a sunlit window sill. This one I found yesterday &, despite an inconvenient crack, has a place on that sill...

Attachments

• J H Brough & Co. Salt Jar.jpg
    J H Brough & Co. Salt Jar.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 134

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Beautiful embossing on that one! That UK glass somehow has a real sheen to it which I find our domestic glass lacks.
Indeed, it is a shiny piece; don't know if you watch "Bottle Ned" ( quite the character! ) on Y/T, but he often raves about the 'superior' quality of 'western glass' as compared to the old glass produced in the eastern States. He credits the 'excellent quality' Californian sands for this difference.

Reactions: Len

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
That's a beauty! How did you get it so clean?
I've developed a bit of a process that works well; namely: numerous brushes, 'Barkeepers Friend' for scrubbing stains, bits of copper that I shake inside the item ( gets most of the bulk matter off ). If the stains are really stubborn, I'll soak the item in muriatic acid. Mostly though, it's just good old-fashioned elbow grease and a bit of patience.

Attachments

• My Favourites Shelf.jpg
    My Favourites Shelf.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 55

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu