Anyone familiar mushroom, fungi?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I think I remember hearing maybe Washington has the largest single fungi or mushroom existing
It is Oregon and it is Golden Fungus. Actually edible, though I never tried it. Here is some I found in my neck of the woods.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_125819.jpg
    IMG_20181009_125819.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20181009_125950.jpg
    IMG_20181009_125950.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 77

willong

Reaction score
Yes, they are supposed to taste like chicken. Texture yeah, taste I'm not sure. I put them in chicken soup. I get the giant puffballs too. They are surreal. The size of a basketball and much bigger.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
My old man grew up in western PA, near Newcastle. He always spoke fondly of his life as a farm boy, even during the Great Depression. Good food had much to do with forming his memories, and enjoying Giant puffballs featured in his tales more than once. While I have seen many varieties of puffballs, I've yet to encounter the giants like you photographed or my late father enjoyed eating. I recently got a tip on where to search next year in the vicinity of land that my folks left me in northeastern WA. I hope it will not end up being an unchecked item on my bucket list!

willong

Reaction score
I probably should start learning how to identify edible one's, I noticed several different varieties yesterday
It is another fun and immensely rewarding way to enjoy woods, fields and mountains (deserts, not so much :p)!

Most locales have a mycological society or mushroom foraging club in the vicinity. Going with experienced collectors is one of the best ways to learn. I initially learned from books, but I tend to be anal about identification of potentially lethal fungi. I have even passed on known edible species that are listed as "choice, with caution" because I hate getting gastric illness and heaving. Some delectable varieties cause gastric upset in just a few people; I don't want learn that I am one of that population.

If you do join a club, I would recommend going on the group outings before teaming up with any one individual. It would give you a chance to learn who really knows their topic. All endeavors seem to have a few chance-takers among their ranks. Wild mushroom collection and consumption is an activity where one wants to avoid such types.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
My old man grew up in western PA, near Newcastle. He always spoke fondly of his life as a farm boy, even during the Great Depression. Good food had much to do with forming his memories, and enjoying Giant puffballs featured in his tales more than once. While I have seen many varieties of puffballs, I've yet to encounter the giants like you photographed or my late father enjoyed eating. I recently got a tip on where to search next year in the vicinity of land that my folks left me in northeastern WA. I hope it will not end up being an unchecked item on my bucket list!
I find them after a heavy thunder storm in July, that's in N.J. They grow fast so I like to keep an eye on potential monsters. Get them before the bugs do. I like the picture because it reminds me of one of those exaggerated post cards from the 1920's. Huge fish, rabbit and vegetables. I hope you get out to your property and find some. If they are any color other than pure white inside, they are not giant puffballs.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
It is another fun and immensely rewarding way to enjoy woods, fields and mountains (deserts, not so much :p)!

Most locales have a mycological society or mushroom foraging club in the vicinity. Going with experienced collectors is one of the best ways to learn. I initially learned from books, but I tend to be anal about identification of potentially lethal fungi. I have even passed on known edible species that are listed as "choice, with caution" because I hate getting gastric illness and heaving. Some delectable varieties cause gastric upset in just a few people; I don't want learn that I am one of that population.

If you do join a club, I would recommend going on the group outings before teaming up with any one individual. It would give you a chance to learn who really knows their topic. All endeavors seem to have a few chance-takers among their ranks. Wild mushroom collection and consumption is an activity where one wants to avoid such types.
Even edible mushrooms should be harvested only after identifying the host. Mushrooms growing on the wrong type of tree, like a chicken of the woods growing on a dead pine tree.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Even edible mushrooms should be harvested only after identifying the host. Mushrooms growing on the wrong type of tree, like a chicken of the woods growing on a dead pine tree.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Cooked up chicken of the woods 3 ways in a very hot skillet
1. Butter, pepper, was very good
2. Garlic, salt and pepper good but Garlic was a little over powering
3. Teriyaki, olive oil, and very little pepper very good

Attachments

• 20211011_191311.jpg
    20211011_191311.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Cooked up chicken of the woods 3 ways in a very hot skillet
1. Butter, pepper, was very good
2. Garlic, salt and pepper good but Garlic was a little over powering
3. Teriyaki, olive oil, and very little pepper very good
Also it's to bad you can't get them year round, most people will never have a chance to taste them. I brought some to 5 friends they all loved them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac