Anything interesting in this pile?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheGreenMan

Reaction score
A few years ago I grabbed a bunch of stuff out of a 30s-60s community landfill. Here are a few of the items I grabbed.
I know next to nothing about glass collecting. Anything interesting?

DSCN2899.JPG DSCN2898.JPG

Drift

Reaction score
Good mix there! You're right on with the 1930's to 60's estimate. Does that milk bottle next to that Dad's Root Beer have any embossing? I like that Army truck. You definitely brought home a number of things I would have grabbed. I'm sure that spot has some very good potential, it should have lots of marbles with that age bracket too. I'm guessing that Coke says Pat-D on the side? Have you been back? There could be older stuff buried deeper.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The green deco sodas and Dr. Pepper are of interest, the milks would be if the labels were in better shape but they look fairly rough. That cream top would have been really nice otherwise. Most of the other stuff is pretty common as far as I can tell.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Green High Grades & Dr. Pepper look like the only thing of Interest, in my opinion. The Dads jr would of been OK if it had more color & not losing color. The Coke has way to many potstones or damage to have any value. LEON.

TheGreenMan

Reaction score
The Green High Grades & Dr. Pepper look like the only thing of Interest, in my opinion. The Dads jr would of been OK if it had more color & not losing color. The Coke has way to many potstones or damage to have any value. LEON.
Strange, there were so many Hy-Grade colas that I stopped picking them up. I figured the Coke was worthless, it is also the worst of 3 non broken ones I found. But at that point in was , I think, the first non-broken one I'd ever found.

I'm sure that spot has some very good potential, it should have lots of marbles with that age bracket too. I'm guessing that Coke says Pat-D on the side? Have you been back? There could be older stuff buried deeper.

It does have some embossing. On one side it says "Sealed 48" and the other side has the volume.

The Coke does have " BOTTLE PAT D - 105529" on it, as do the two nicer ones I got but didn't picture.

No marbles there that I saw, though there was another job where we were digging through peoples yards (literally with a backhoe) and found a few last year. Weirdly, the run of marbles apparently ended as I joined the excavation groups. Must have been doing the wrong yards. Still found a few.

Sadly no going back to the site with all the bottles. The story is:
The site was in a ravine near Cincinnati in an old industrial area (from the 1850s) that was being remediated for environmental contamination. So while helping survey the area we found the ravine and a few other small spots. Unfortunately other than going through it during work and one day on a weekend I never got to look too much, not that I would have known what to look for, so I found mostly just surface level stuff. My date guessing was based off the dates on license plates we found. As part of the remediation they dug out the trash (including asbestos). The weekend I went they had just started digging and had 1 trench dug, the trashwas ~10 feet deep. There were clay pots (broken) and other odds-n-ends. But I did not get to be there as they were doing the digging, apparently the guys pulled out some nice pieces. So now it is nice and clean and lined with rock and the trash is in another landfill.
The weirdest thing I found was a lard jar, still with lard in it. Looked not too bad for all the time that had passed.

I'll post a bunch more pictures. Here's ~1/2 to 2/3 of what I have from that site (with a few notes):
20200827_211918.jpg 20200827_212017.jpg
..............................................................................................................................................................Strangely, the bottle on the left in the previous pic has a blob of glass ............................................................................................................................................................ off the bottom that keeps it from sitting flat (or sitting up at all .............................................................................................................................................................sometimes).
20200827_212133.jpg 20200827_212225.jpg

A bunch of odds-n-ends. A cigar holder, ink pot, Schlitz Beer
signage, vacuum tube, utensils, furniture wheels, makeup
compact........

20200827_212738.jpg 20200827_213643.jpg

20200827_213750.jpg 20200827_213058.jpg

Last edited:

Drift

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing more photos! That Schlitz sign is very cool. I've only dug one whole sign but it was pretty rusted out. Cutlery's a fun find. I can't get myself to throw them back, even though they're never silver like I'd like for them to be.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Probably alot of good stuff got hauled away to the landfill. the trick is knowing what is good & worth keeping & what is not so good & hauling it away, Sadly most Construction workers have no Clue whats good or bad so good valuable stuff gets bulldozed over &/or Hauled away. For example, if there was this rare Hudepohl Cone Top Beer can in there that's from Cincinnati in this Condition I would of gladly paid you or anybody else that found it $5,000.00 LEON.
hudybluejspout.jpg

MEDIC-372

Reaction score
You have some nice bottles in there. I would keep the inks and the milks for sure if I was you. Even though not super old I would keep anything that’s not a screw top.

Creek Diver

Reaction score
I'd like to find a few bottles like the ones with the ring for carrying it. Every one of those I've ever come across has the ring broken off, or I find the neck intact, but no bottle below it. Love the embossed soda/beer bottles, too. There were so many little soda making companies and local breweries in the early 20th century that mixed/brewed and bottled locally. We've come around on that again for breweries, but paper labels rule the day.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown