APOTHECARY POISON TWO BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Are we sure they're pewter? My pewter doesn't easily bend? Boy, these two bottles have generated the most interest and commentary I've seen on the forum since I joined!

bearfan

Reaction score
I am not sure of the metal on the stoppers. I did call the antiique store today to ask them if they could call the dealer and ask him where he got them. They were rather rude and told me no. I asked why. They said even if they did contact him he would not tell me where he got them and reveal his "source". I told them I was only trying to find out the history of the bottles. I was told that they would not know the history! [:mad:]
This having been said. Say I took off the stoppers and the skull labels. Can someone guess the age, and maybe actual value?[8|]

woody

Reaction score
It would be safe to assume that the stopper was used to disperse some sort of product out of the bottle.
Whether or not it came from the bottles in question is a mystery.
Maybe it did, maybe it didn't.
The significance of the poison labels still remains a mystery.
I doubt if this is an apothecary bottle, as it was implied when he bought it, but it may have been something that someone concocted to see if anyone would show interest in buying it.
What bothers me is that the two bottles are not from the same mold. They are similar in appearance, but if you look at the ridges around the neck you'll see the difference in the two.
I have dug inkwells, as Harry suggested, in this shape, although the necks weren't as wide as these bottles.
Why would an ink bottle have that sort of stopper, though?
The bottles do look like they are from the late 1800's or early 1900's.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Bearfan . . .

That was a predictable response from the antique mall operator.

I think that the stoppers are likely to be made of pot-metal.

As ink bottles, you might get some, even most, of your money back. The green bottle is a desirable color. And they are an unusual size. You can check eBay for values. Better yet, take them to a bottle show for an appraisal. Where do you live...in Chicago?

------------Harry Pristis

bearfan

Reaction score
I live in New Hampshire, everything is still frozen. I am not sure where to find a bottle show around here to attend.

woody

Reaction score
Not many bottle shows to attend here, except in Keene in the fall.
There are some in Portland, Maine coming up, I believe.
What part of New Hamster are you from????

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Bearfan, we have a bottle show coming up on Sunday. April 4. It's being held at the Italian Heritage Ctr. in Portland, Maine. It's a good show, all ranges of bottles fro 5o cents to $4000+!. I believe early admission for buying etc., starts at 8:30 am and cost is $15. Regular admission is at 11:30 (?), cost is $5.00. Check the site here on the forum for Bottle Shows & Exibitions for exact details. Easy to get to, right off the Congress st. exit west. I'll send you exact directions if you like, just drop me a line. Maine Digger

bearfan

Reaction score
Ok---I have looked everywhere for this bottle but in the end I guess what I have is an "apothecary holy poison inkwell" [:D] what a title for an ebay listing---if nothing else it will peak interest in the auction LOL

bearfan

Reaction score
SUCCESS!
Look what I did find on ebay---these are holy water bottles ----notice the stoppers in the pics
holywater[1].jpg

holywaterbottle[1].jpg

holywaterbottleb[1].jpg

They look very simialer to mine---So now I know the for sure they are holy water crowns. Why in the world would someone do this?

bearfan

Reaction score
oh my, someone please hit me with a spell check! ---sorry about the errors, it's late.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac