Applied neck? And what was it- I’m guessing utility bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
This one looks totally different than it did when I first set eyes on it… It was all dirty and had a thick white crust all over it. I tumbled it in my simple limited Tumblr and got the inside cleaned up. The more I worked on it the older it seemed. I need help with the age of it and it does anybody know what it was? Also I thought there was a break on the neck when it was really dirty but figured it was old enough that I would just try to do what I could for it. The more I cleaned on it I started to realize it wasn’t cracked at all on the neck. I can feel nothing on the outside or the inside it like a crack. Is this an applied neck?
CEE1D2AB-C718-43A3-BF71-90A797F0EBC2.jpeg
1A50FBFB-F051-48C1-A56E-CD24E9DF7116.jpeg
neck?
5512531D-7ECB-4B28-95D4-ABEF867ED36E.jpeg
86B2E684-0317-475E-875B-6C8496B91762.jpeg
6E2969BE-C45F-4D33-A664-0190F0EB51E3.jpeg
DC716CD7-CAA5-4799-95C2-995C40D7C1FD.jpeg

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Nice find. Has a good bit of age, cleaned up well, and appears to be intact. Nice job Wrangler. Maybe a cologne or a hair prep bottle... BTW, like your "Monster" size ruler. Used to be a big Jolt cola drinker. Anybody got a lightening emoji I cant put through the O?...

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Nice find. Has a good bit of age, cleaned up well, and appears to be intact. Nice job Wrangler. Maybe a cologne or a hair prep bottle... BTW, like your "Monster" size ruler. Used to be a big Jolt cola drinker. Anybody got a lightening emoji I cant put through the O?...

Mahahaha! Now that y’all know my vises…. Bottles and watermelon monstersI guess it could be worse, right? . Any guesses on the age of this sweet crooked necked bottle? My guess would be between 1825-1850, but that’s just a guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I think that is a v. good guess. However, I'm going to go a little later from the top and being dragged slightly back by the pontil(?) bottom. I'd guess 1860s-70s. ...BTW, Jolt grape flavor was my fav.:p I actually saved a few of their containers. They usually used local bottlers so there is a lot of variety. Thanks for the lightening bolt emoji! ..."Vises in Madison County? Never.;)" "--America runs on bottles and a favorite beverage!" (With apologies to DD.)

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think it's an apothecary bottle. Likely European in origin. I suspect that these continued to have pontils long after they were phased out on other bottles, so it could be from towards the end of the 19th century, around 1880 or so, maybe even later. I'm not certain about the pontils lasting for a long time, but there are a lot of these apothecary bottles with pontils out there, more than you'd expect if they were from the mid-19th century.
1636000184962.png

1636000326215.png

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Yes, very likely considerations. Apothecary bottles are kind of a snooty bunch with those designer-like closures.

...Is that a foil label on 3 of the above 4 or paper? (I believe printing on foil started in the 1930s in America.) Though it would make sense if Wrangler's example is imported.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I second CanadianBottles that it's apothecary. Late 1800s. Is the inside of the neck ground? Can you tell having tumbled it? These often came with a ground neck and a glass stopper. And yes, they seem to have been pontiled much past when most other products were no longer being made with the pontil rod.

Jim G

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I second CanadianBottles that it's apothecary. Late 1800s. Is the inside of the neck ground? Can you tell having tumbled it? These often came with a ground neck and a glass stopper. And yes, they seem to have been pontiled much past when most other products were no longer being made with the pontil rod.

Jim G

I hear Europe was behind as far as our fancy automated glass machines go. And whose looking good, now, right? I can’t tell if the neck is ground- the lip is not- and it’s smooth inside the neck until it gets to where I thought it was broken? There was not a side that wasn’t so gouged up like it was run over with an excavator…. A few times! I’m so surprised it isn’t just busted up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I hear Europe was behind as far as our fancy automated glass machines go. And whose looking good, now, right? I can’t tell if the neck is ground- the lip is not- and it’s smooth inside the neck until it gets to where I thought it was broken? There was not a side that wasn’t so gouged up like it was run over with an excavator…. A few times! I’m so surprised it isn’t just busted up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed on Europe. They definitely were slower to switch to the ABM.

Jim G

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yes, very likely considerations. Apothecary bottles are kind of a snooty bunch with those designer-like closures.

...Is that a foil label on 3 of the above 4 or paper? (I believe printing on foil started in the 1930s in America.) Though it would make sense if Wrangler's example is imported.
It's something like foil printing. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same process, but this type of foil-like printing goes back well before the 30s from what I've seen. I've seen it done on some pretty early apothecary bottles.

Reactions: Len

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94