Aqua Blue and I am new

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Thrillseeker

Reaction score
BOTTLE1_zps5c3d6f9c.jpg
BOTTLE11_zps01bf5aff.jpg
BOTTLE21_zps2118b46c.jpg
BOTTLE31_zpsce98d45c.jpg
BOTTLE41_zps587c667a.jpg
BOTTLE51_zps26da6b65.jpg
BOTTLE61_zps39989bf2.jpg
BOTTLE71_zpsf4177494.jpg
My dad passed in June and while going through some of his stuff I found a bottle like I have never seen before. My mom said dad found it buried and brought it home and cleaned it up because he thought it was worth something. She didn't seem impressed with the item so I told her I liked it and would take it home and try to find out what it is. Dad was a volunteer cleaning up storm damage in Mississippi and Alabama so it is possible that is when he found it. I showed this to a friend of mine whose wife is into antiques and here are her thoughts. "Your bottle is aqua in color and what I would describe as a torpedo shape, with a heavy molded swirl or ribbed design. It is 8 1/2" long. Make sure you tell the appraiser that it appears to be mold blown, that is blown glass into a two-piece mold since it has two seams that run it's entire length, including the lip. The screw threads on the lip are on the outside, and since the seam runs through the threads to the lip, the threads are part of the mold. I'm very interested in what you find out." Hopefully someone here will be able to identify what it is and what it was used for. It would have had to have some kind of stand in order for it to stand up since the bottom is round and has the knob. If it was some kind of flask it would have needed a leather pouch to keep it upright. Any ideas or experience any of you may have had with this type of bottle?Thanks, Mark

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
"Your bottle is aqua in color and what I would describe as a torpedo shape, with a heavy molded swirl or ribbed design. It is 8 1/2" long. Make sure you tell the appraiser that it appears to be mold blown, that is blown glass into a two-piece mold since it has two seams that run it's entire length, including the lip. The screw threads on the lip are on the outside, and since the seam runs through the threads to the lip, the threads are part of the mold. I'm very interested in what you find out."
Hello, welcome and sorry to hear about your dad. That's an interesting piece for sure. One thing is that the seams and treads as in the quoted part indicate that it was machine made and likely a fairly massed produced item. I'm also with you on the heavier on the blue side. What it is, I'm not sure. My first thought was a candy or syrup bottle, maybe even (stretching a bit) a Christmas ornament. Then I read the 8½" and it seams a little large for any of that since it can't stand up. Maybe it had a base?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I would like to add it to my collection. <bottlemysteries@yahoo.net> I am sure it had a base to hold it. I think it was for a cologne. The practice of putting threads in the mold started with fruit jars I think, and were used a lot - and still are. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hey Red, I know you were a Thatcher guy but would you call that Ball blue? It seams closer to that than aqua. Maybe it was even made by Ball since fruit jars came up. PS: excellent pictures Mark

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks Eric, I just can't help my interest in things I haven't studied out. I went to the Bradenton FL. BOTTLE SHOW yesterday and had two follow me home. I saw at least 30 repros of the handled flask I have been studying. Not a one good enough to buy, but for $19, one followed me home for comparison anyway, because it was the best one there. There is no way anyone, is making money reproducing in their price ranges.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Maybe it was a smaller size wine or liquor bottle that at one time had the wicker or rope wrapped around like the chianti style bottles. I'm not too sure they had screw caps though. If it had the wicker base it would stand up however.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I thought of that too Paul but couldn't see a spiral cone being blown and covered in a wrap, even just the bulb part. The mouth seams a bit wide for wine, liquor or perfume also. That's why I was thinking candy or something. [8|]It's definitely ABM, probably 1930-40's but what is it? [8|][8|][8|]

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Hey Mark, Those rust stains on the bulbed end might have been from a wire /metal base that rusted off. The bulb would have traped the sedements in the wine. Shootin from the hip... Don

Thrillseeker

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts on this bottle. Thanks you also for the sympathy concerning my dad. So it is still a mystery. This is kind of cool. I do really want to know what this bottle was for as does my friends wife, Susan. Maybe there is someone out there that has the answer. I guess we will see. When I do try the appraisal site Susan told me about I will share as soon as I know. In the meantime I am gonna give it some more time here.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky