Archaeologist or looter?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Some wise posts here, and I agree wholeheartedly with several of you. I am at least 40 years in the hobby, and in those years I have presented programs for 30 to 40 groups, perhaps more, ranging from bottle clubs, to dive clubs, to car clubs, to many historical societies, one of which I am on the Board of Directors.
Many are quite interested in our hobby, and our knowledge gleaned from hours of "digging" in directories and other historical references. I have encountered a number in the "professional" field who are interested in our work, and are grateful for the knowledge we can share with them.
I have also encountered those who refer to us as "pot hunters", "robbers" and worse. One organization once they learned more of my intended program and my background then canceled me. Funny, the program, which they requested was on local stoneware and the related potting industry on Long Island, which I have collected and researched for 40 years now.
Likely we will never see the end of this dispute, and sadly, many in the "professional" arena will not have the benefit of the knowledge which we so passionately seek, and share.
This is something in which, to me, it is hard to say there are winners, or losers among those in the debate. Those whom are most passionate in their views are unlikely to be swayed by any arguments, pro or con.
The ultimate looser is the public really.

pchan

Reaction score
Well, the thread I began with the same question on this site recently didn`t get this much action. Must be because I`m new here or.....could it be because I`m Canadian?....`ts OK, we`re accustomed to being ignored until theres a world war or something that the rest of youse need us to contribute to.
So carry on like I wasn`t even here.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pchan

Well, the thread I began with the same question on this site recently didn`t get this much action. Must be because I`m new here or.....could it be because I`m Canadian?....`ts OK, we`re accustomed to being ignored until theres a world war or something that the rest of youse need us to contribute to.
This post got 5 more responses than yours did, and that includes the post above where you cry about not getting attention, I'd say it must be a Canadian thing, but none of the other Canadian members moans and complains the way you do. I think it's just you needing attention...

mctaggart67

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pchan

Umm, not sure how to respond to this, both as a Canadian and a bottle collector. Anyhow, I'll take a stab and say that threads come and go. Some get hot, as they either provoke participation or they get posted at just the right time when a large number are logged onto the forum. Not all of my postings get a response -- maybe they're too long-winded -- but I don't dwell on it. I just move on to the next topic. You've got to imagine that a forum is like a bottle show, with short conversations flaring up here and there.

surfaceone

Reaction score
12.jpg

Looter Statue Fund Drive – Despite it turning into an absolute fundraising failure, I’m still very proud of the effort the Fark Board gave to raise funds for the Looter Statue. Designed to stand the test of time and future flood waters, the monument would be composed of mosaic tiles with a dazzling Raku finish. The Looter Statue was going to be constructed in front of the St. Roch Market on St. Claude Avenue in New Orleans. On the first day we had pledges from Yurintroubl, Sawfiddle and BigEasy totaling almost $100. Unfortunately, our final tally of $136 and twelve Heinekens fell way short of the $100,000 needed to make the Looter Statue a reality. I wonder if President Obama might have an interest in helping us rekindle interest in the project.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised this one got so much attention, the same premise has been done so many times.
Premise, is that the word I'm looking for? [8|]

pchan

Reaction score
OH......are we supposed to be serious ALL the time here? Didn`t know, sorry. It was an attempt at humor people, so far most of my attempts have been deleted so I`ll see if this one can be taken in the way it was intended by the overseers of the site. Not going to say anything about the cry comment other than to say you are one who misunderstood what I said. You know, I have stopped kidding around in class here because by the time my students get their dictionaries out and dissect each word, it`t ain`t funny anymore....so maybe I should just stick to that here too. And thanks mctaggart67, yeah, I`ve been around the web for some years now, know how it works, evidently you also missed the humor in my post. And I though guitar players on the sites I`m a member of were a little too serious, boy....maybe I should just stay with reading on this site which is what I was doing before joining, didn`t know it was going to be this difficult.

pchan

Reaction score
just had a thought, maybe you two guys should just put me on your ignore list that way you will be spared the pain of reading my posts and I won`t have to be serious all the time.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Try a [:D] or 3 or "just kidding" or even a :) at the end.
It really did sound like insecurity and you were insulted.

pchan

Reaction score
No, it was interpreted that way by a couple of people it wasn`t intended as such. But I`ve had several posts deleted already by the people who run this site so I have asked to have my membership deleted, I`ll find another place to get info on bottles I find.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora