Asking permission

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_head9

Reaction score
I`m new at asking permission to probe someones property.In your experience, what is the best way to approach homeowners / landowners about digging their property. Also, in your experience, whats the fairest way to split up the loot, if you find any.I know some people will care more than others what is dug on their property.Is there a standard in which to follow.I`ve only dug dumps in the past. Any info would help. Thanks, Tom

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Tom,
I don't dig too often but maybe I can help a bit. Most of the times I've been on digs, the guys asking permission tried to get the homeowners excited about the history of their property. They started small, just asking for permission to probe perhaps and then got additional permission later for a test hole and then finally went back for a full blown dig. I've seen them give references to other digs where the homeowners would be willing to say that they worked a clean job. It might also help to bring along some common stuff to show a homeowner and then give it to them no strings attached??

As far as splitting stuff up, I would try to plan ahead here. If you collect different types of bottles that can help. For example, you get first crack on any early medicines while your partner gets it if its a soda etc . . . Then if a valuable medicine turns up, you've got to even up the value for your partner. If that means that they get every bottle for awhile, so be it. You can also take turns picking but I like the idea of trying to keep the fair market value of each person's "take" even because it keeps everybody happy. Also, if you dig a pit full of medicines, I think that you might get the first crack but your partner should get the second (and so on until the value equals out). Just some suggestions . . .

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Blob's on top with his suggestions. Preparation is key. Take a Sanborn of the property to show the homeowner the historical significance and location. Explain the transience of the existing structure with former structures (if applicable). Visual aids of what is sought is very important; an interesting bottle in hand in worth two in the pit. Have a probe with you to illustrate the non-invasive nature of your initial survey. Should a pit be discovered, explain that the site will be returned to its original condition. Photos of previous digs serve as a powerful endorsement. Best to work one area at at time. Invariably, adjacent homeowners will be curious as to your activity and permissions can be secured during a dig. This is an opportunity to explain history and educate. Don't be skiddish about assisting homeowners in some clean-up work, fence mending, whatever. This is the good neighbor policy. My rule is to invite the property owner to inspect and participate in activities as they unfold. As artifacts are uncovered I like to explain the historical significance of finds. Quite frankly, I dig not for the acquisition but for the experience. I freely share with the homeowner but most of the time the homeowner recognizes my non-acquisitive zeal having little interest in taking ownership of artifacts recovered. Children frequently take a keen interest in activities and again, here is an opportunity to impart hard-won wisdom on impressionable young minds. By far, the experience of fellowship outweighs transient ownership. My fellow pit diggers are of similar mind. Makes for a joyful symbiosis. When petty grievances outweigh the joy of the communal activity, I'll find another activity to expend my efforts.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
# 1 Have some pix of some of your finds.
# 2 Knock on door
# 3 Say I collect old bottles for a hobby.
# 4 Tell them about how they tossed trash in the old outhouses.
# 5 Explain that it is fill from the19th century that comes out of the pit not really dirt from your Yard that will be dug.
# 6 Start showing some of your pictures.
# 7 Give them some enthusiasm and talk about the history of the bottles you dig.
# 8 get ready for a yes or a no and move on.

Put your own spin on it, be your self and let it rip. Its not that complicated.If you can think of anyting else toss it in.Try and try again.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Not sure if sanborns are available in this part of the state.My partner tried to locate some and was told they were not available in this part of the state.I`m gonna check with another town office. Thanks for the info!

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Rick, I`ve checked out your website and it`s very informative. I`m sure it won`t be long until I`m posting picks of my first privy dig!

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep, Just like Rick said and then he can be your hero for the day. He is alot like Superman you know. [sm=lol.gif]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94