At least one state gets it....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Doing my best to stay away from anything political I give you this.....Florida will begin testing welfare applicants for drugs effective July 1st.

Its about time, now if only this policy would go national we would be doing something. A lot of people must take drug test to qualify for jobs that pay for welfare. Why shouldnt people have to take a grug test to recieve it?

Jim

Reaction score
Agree 100%, John. I don't mind my tax dollars going to help those who truly need and deserve it, but the doper idiots can support their own habits if they wish to waste their lives with that junk. If they don't like it...Boo-freaking-hoo, clean up and get a job.

Many reforms are needed in the welfare system, and drug testing is a real good place to start. ~Jim

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm in agreement but....
the doper idiots can support their own habits if they wish to waste their lives with that junk.
I worry about backlash also. It's unfortunately not that simple and that will get found out soon enough.
Do robberies go up? Murders? Collateral damage?
More law enforcement to keep the crime down means higher taxing, right? Methadone and other programs have had a lot of success but programs should be improved simultaneously, not simultaneous cuts in the programs.
Drugs won't go away and that's the real shame.

kwalker

Reaction score
Gotta agree with this. I just don't understand how the government can overlook the misuse of welfare so easily sometimes. I understand that many families need it and use it as intended but there's so many others who take it and run...

RedGinger

Reaction score
In honor of my friend, Lobey, I am going to say that is really stupid. I can see the intent behind this with things like Crack or something. So, you don't want the government to invade your privacy, or you do? How about a drug test for gun owners. Does that seem equal to you? Some of those that require assistance would fail the test because they need medications. And it is because of their health problems, that they need assistance. Can't anyone find anything better to do?

With so much unemployment, headed for a depression, and "alcohol sales thriving", I'm sure this idea will work splendidly.

Now, I am going to go cry my eyes out, because Lobey is not here to fight on this one.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Oh, and the working poor, who work till they drop, but still don't make enough to feed their families. Do they not deserve any dignity to not have to pee in a cup? They're not flying a plane with 200 passengers. If there drugs were not illegal, there would not be the crime in Mexico and other cities that is killing so many people. That's another topic, though. I am all for drug education programs, and the stop of Meth, Crack, and things like that.

Where I came from, any public assistance programs are a last resort until someone is back on their feet. They are a "hand up". I suppose I am naive in thinking it is such an easy issue, that people just decide to be poor for personal gain.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
All I can say is.. people collecting welfare instead of making their own way better have a mighty damn good excuse.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Yeah, Joe and I go back and forth on that all the time. He has the same cynical view and a poster with a poem called "Work" on his wall. I guess I am just a bleeding heart liberal. Miss my sidekick.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I miss him too, Laur. He woulda prolly jumped all over this thread and made it interesting.. no, fascinating to the point of deletion.. [;)]
I'm perpetually broke, but I never got a govt handout and I'm proud of that. One time when I was around 20 years old, after quitting a really crappy job as a car salesman, I walked into the local employment agency. I was really desperate for dough, and kinda hoping they'd cut me a check then and there.. well, I ended up in a guys office, who was one two phones, one on each shoulder.. he looked up at me, hung up one phone, and asked me if I want to work.. I said yes.. (maybe the big DUH moment of my life??) ..he un-hammered the other phone and dialed: "Hey.. I have another one for you.." ..hung up and gave me directions to a cardboard box factory. I spent the next 2 months packing things in boxes for $10/hr.. back then it was good money, good enough to not require any other form of aid, at least. Are my views tainted with self determinism and personal responsibility? You bet your bottles they are.. but please don't hate me for it, I'm actually a compassionate SOB..

ktbi

Reaction score
I feel strongly on both sides of this issue. I absolutely believe that, as a society, we have an obligation to assist those who really need it. Is that my left or my right view? On the other side, it is so widely abused and maneuvered that some controls need to be put in place and enforced! I don't see a problem with a welfare-to-work program and/or a strict monitoring/revalidation program to ensure the money gets to the right people. I'm on the fence with drug testing. A person either needs or doesn't need assistance and taking illegal drugs doesn't change that - BUT - the Gov't handout should not be used to purchase drugs. Maybe the answer isn't a paycheck, but something like food stamps. Whatever the answer is though - it will be abused, i.e. selling food stamps, using money for drugs, etc....Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch