AVON

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello to you bottle collectors: I read this thread and wanted to let you know, that while I worked at Thatcher's I was extensively involved with molds for many of these bottles. We had an edge on the business because of a bottle designer that really put them into being and acceptance with the Avon people. That lasted until he came up with a duck bottle that was nearly an impossible one to make on a glass machine. The next tough one got him fired. So he went to work for Avon and got other glass factories making them.

I have a lot of them, cars, train engine, and many others. I even have some samples that never were produced in a regular production line. Some of them were a challenge to make. The parison had to provide proper distribution in the final bottle but it was often off center to the finish centerline. Like in the case of the duck bottle, it was a challenge to get the glass from the blank mold to the final blow mold.

At least some people are interested in their fantacy existance. RED Matthews

ktbi

Reaction score
I have about a dozen or so in a box in the garage my Step-Mom gave me when she moved about 10 years ago. Not sure what they are as I haven't really looked, but I think they are all full. Some are quite valuable, up to 4 dollars each! Ron

morbious_fod

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of Avon bottle recently, yeah I know; however, at a buck each I couldn't resist. I got the blue Thunderbird complete, even still has the label, and the aqua Mustang from the same series. I have found out that there is an Edsel out there as well as a Studebaker. I'm wanting to find one of the Edsels, but I'm doubting I will find that one for a buck, but who knows. I also got one of the silver dollar bottles, with the silver paint worn off, and one of the indian head penny bottles with some flakes missing, but not too bad. I doubt I will be making it a habit of collecting these past an Edsel, unless some other older cars start showing up.

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
One of the coolest car Avon bottles, if you're a Mopar fan, is called the Stock Car if I remember correctly. It's a '69 Dodge Daytona. Many that I have come across in the past were missing the wing.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp