BABY KILLER?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dewfus

"Saving The Past So It Has A Future"
Reaction score
Baby killer? Wow looked this bottle up amd i guess it killed thousands of babies due to large amounts of morphine lol wow
15819107850374453947661735596867.jpg

Flasks

Reaction score
Mrs Winslow's soothing syrup goes back to the late 1860's. She was a great entrepreneur and spent a lot of her time in the small oil towns (after the discovery of oil in Titusville, Pa.) that lined Oil Creek Valley. It's main ingredients were extracts, grain alcohol, flavoring and cocaine. If you should ever visit the famous "Pithole Museum" near Titusville, Pa. you will see where she signed in the guest book on display at the museum. Various towns where these vial style bottles have been found are: Miller Farm, Shaffer Farm, Tarr Farm, Petroleum Center, Rynd Farms. It was customary at this time to use the word "farm" rather than "ville, ton, etc. etc.". These are considered common in this area of Northwestern Pa. I doubt that any babies died from the use of this compound as instructions were to rub the babies gums with a small amount, do not feed the baby or child as a liquid.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
It didn't kill babies. Parents administrating large doses past the manufacturer's reccomendations killed the babies. The same thing happens if you give them too much water. Hence the expression, "Everything in moderation."

Flasks

Reaction score
I know they've been found nationwide. It was a very popular med.
Your 100% correct and also found from the same time frame is another vial style, almost identical to the Winslows bottle, is one marked "Cocaine"...nothing else but that word. I've dug several of both of those type. Before hard drugs became an epidemic and were governmental controlled many medicinals and some sodas contained a hard drug....even Coca Cola! Bitters bottles, pre and post Civil War, primary ingredient was grain alcohol...as high as 60%.

Dewfus

"Saving The Past So It Has A Future"
Reaction score
Your 100% correct and also found from the same time frame is another vial style, almost identical to the Winslows bottle, is one marked "Cocaine"...nothing else but that word. I've dug several of both of those type. Before hard drugs became an epidemic and were governmental controlled many medicinals and some sodas contained a hard drug....even Coca Cola! Bitters bottles, pre and post Civil War, primary ingredient was grain alcohol...as high as 60%.
Awsome stuff thank you I love the history of bottles

tree planter

Reaction score
is there a pontil on them.Have one with one.She made a fortune selling the stuff.in fact the sod and drug administration was started in 1915 over these type of 'Medicines'

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky