Bah Humbug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slugplate

Reaction score
I went out probing and digging today with my wingman and found broken 20s-30s stuff. It was more shocking to find an old salt glazed jug that was easily within the 1870s -1890s time frame. I believe it was a gallon, in pieces, no way to revive. Some embossed pieces, but again, nothing revivable. I guess the point of this post is to keep hunting and digging regardless. In that morass of broken glass and scraps may lie a gem. As we enter the New Year, may we all be fruitful and continue to pursue our passion without hesitancy.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 179

DanielinAk

Reaction score
In that morass of broken glass and scraps may lie a gem. As we enter the New Year, may we all be fruitful and continue to pursue our passion without hesitancy.

You couldn’t have said it better. You never know what’s amongst the trash unless you dig it all out. Into saw a gem of a find come out from amongst the trash this year and that digger now understands why I say dig it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I also went out today. The weather has been strangely mild for late December. The leaves on the ground are all soaking wet and matted together now. I found a few things but I'll save that for a future post. I'm glad you got out there today!

slugplate

Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration! I hope to find my first 1800s bottle next year! I just need to get back to my dump in Pennsylvania and dig deeper...
Good luck, friend. I can't recall who said this, "If you love what you're doing you'll never work a day in your life." But it's perfectly apropos to bottle digging. Happy Holidays.

slugplate

Reaction score
I also went out today. The weather has been strangely mild for late December. The leaves on the ground are all soaking wet and matted together now. I found a few things but I'll save that for a future post. I'm glad you got out there today!
I had the same issue with leaves. I knew where I was going and didn't need to hunt the area for clues (I left a rusty bucket on a tree limb;)). Otherwise it could have been a very disappointing day.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Record warm here in Northern Indiana on Christmas too, 61 degrees. Got out but didn't find any good glass but did scout some promising areas for next Spring.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky