Ball Perfect Mason Bottle Inside a Metal Thermos-Like Container

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hello. I have what looks like a metal "thermos". (I am using the term "thermos" generically as I don't think this is a branded "Thermos" item.) However, instead of having a double walled glass insert, there is a Ball Perfect Mason jar inside the metal. In addition to the embossed lettering, the Ball jar has gradations in cups (up to 6) and in pints (up to 3). None of these markings or gradations are visible from the outside of the "thermos", which has a painted tartan (Scotch) design. It's hard to make out but I think that "C 11" is embossed just under the word "Mason". The original lid to the Ball jar is not present. The "thermos" has its own plastic screw on lid with a pouring spout cap that snaps shut. The metal has no markings except for the word "Standard", in very small letters, at the very bottom. It looks as if there may be a thin layer of an insulating material between the glass and the metal, but I am not certain. Does anyone know if Ball jars were used in the commercial production of "thermos" like containers? Or is it possible that someone just married the jar to the metal container because it happened to fit snuggly? Thanks for any information you can share.

Attachments

• 100_9985.JPG
    100_9985.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_9986.JPG
    100_9986.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 81

Ashbringer

Reaction score
I have found similar. Strangely the man who designed the jar lid that two metal straps clamp to lived in my town when the idea came to him. And because of that I am digging around where his workshop used to be in the 1800s that just happens to be where the police station is today my luck.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I believe my family had a picnic basket set with that or similar plaid pattern back in the '50s-'60s. Sorry, the thermos etc. are long gone.--Given the thermal durability of fruit jars this improvised set up seems logically successful. --Don't mess with the US. :cool:

DavidW

Reaction score

Here's a brief article about them. Made at the Hillsboro, Illinois plant in 1957. The jars are amber.

So, yes, these were sold together originally, and intentionally that way.

Reactions: Len

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18