Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Barn Find : unknown Root Beer

Codjigger

Feb 23, 2020
Newfoundland
Hi Folks greetings from Newfoundland Canada
I found this in an old barn, ... any ideas on a date or manufacturer .
Dominion Glass bottle shows Diamond-D mark 1928 to mid 1970's but that offers me no help.
I'm starting to wonder about the labels authenticity now.
Any help greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
I am no expert but it looks real but like you mentioned it could have been put on the bottle. Hopefully our canadian bottle lovers can give you more insight. ROBBYBOBBY64

RCO

May 17, 2012
Ontario , Canada
I haven't seen the label before , and without a company name or city its hard to determine where it came from ?

the green bottle itself is a very common bottle , they were typically used as beer bottles in Canada from the 50's-70's . weren't often used as pop bottles although is soda bottles which look very similar

usually root beer came in clear or amber coloured bottles , green would seem like an odd colour . perhaps that's why they put non-alcoholic on the label so people would know it wasn't beer as the bottle looks very similar to a beer bottle

but is it possible a small bottle in Newfoundland actually used the bottle at some point ? I guess although not aware of such bottles

Codjigger

Feb 23, 2020
Newfoundland
the bottle itself was made by Dominion Glass shows Diamond-D mark 1928 to mid 1970's and its definitely not from here .. as far as the label goes you're dead on there,
Im at the conclusion now it was stuck on the bottle for whatever purpose but didnt belong there,possibly a home brew label or something to that affect .. made to look something it isnt.

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Yeah not sure what to make of that one, the bottle looks a bit newer than the label does. Labels like that would have been used by very small operations, probably backyard bottlers who couldn't afford to have custom labels printed. I'm not totally certain that it's someone's more recent creation but it's definitely an odd one.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hidden treasures