Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
New theory about the origin of ...

BARQ'S ORANGINE

As this page from a 1950s Barq's booklet confirms, Edward Barq Sr. spent 13 years in Bordeaux, France "where he studied chemistry and the science and art of making flavoring extracts."

Barq Bordeaux France (2).jpg

As this newspaper article confirms, Edward Barq Sr. was born in New Orleans in 1871 ...

Barq Edward.jpg

As the information on this link confirms, "about 1884, when Edward was thirteen, Maria Barq once again moved the family to France." (Which also includes some additional information)

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...onepage&q=Edward Barq Bordeaux france&f=false

Which brings us to this "Orangine" liqueur bottle made by Mispelblom Zutphen in the Netherlands. I do not know how old this particular bottle is, but I do know that Mispelblom Zutphen was established in 1770 and is still in business today.

Orangine Mispelblom Zutphen Netherlands Est. 1770.jpg

Here's a map showing Bordeaux, France in relation to the Netherlands, which is north of France ...

Netherlands and France Map.jpg

And here's my new theory ...

Because Edward Barq spent thirteen years in France studying chemistry and flavoring extracts, I'm inclined to believe that at some point he could very easily have encountered, and possibly even experimented with, the Orangine liqueur produced in the Netherlands. Of course this is pure speculation on my part, which is why I use the term "theory" because it goes hand in hand with the word "speculation." But regardless of that, the main thing I'm thinking at this juncture is that "Orangine" might have been a generic term used at the time, especially in Europe, just as the word "cola" became generic over the years in the United States and elsewhere.

In other words ...

I'm inclined to suspect its highly possible that the Barq Brothers Orangine and the Schmidt & Company Orangine both have roots that originated in Europe, and possibly directly from the Mispelblom Zutphen brand of Orangine produced in the Netherlands.

Please Note: This is just a "theory" of mine that obviously requires additional research to either confirm and/or refute!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I forgot to mention that I'm trying to clarify what appear to be a discrepancy with the various uses of the word "thirteen." Its a little confusing whether Edward Barq was "thirteen" years old when he and his family moved back to Paris or whether he spent "thirteen" years there studying chemistry. Part of the confusion involves the start of the two different bottling works, with the Barq Brothers Bottling being in 1890 and Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works being in 1898. I don't think this is a big deal, but just thought I'd mention it!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's an edited version of my Barq timeline, with the information obtained from the obituary in red ...

Note: Some of the dates still don't jive, but I think this is as good as it gets and is close enough for Government work!

1871 = Edward Barq Sr. born.

1873 = After father's death the family moved to France. Edward Sr. about 2 years old.

1878 = Family returned to the United States. Edward Sr. about 7 years old.

1883-84 ? = Family moved back to France. Edward Sr. about 12 or 13 years old.

1888 = Schmidt & Company - Stockton, California - Applies for "Orangine" trademark.

1890-93-94 ? = Family moved back to United States. Edward Sr. about 19 to 23 years old.

Note: Obituary says "23 years old"

1890-93-94 ? = Barq Brothers Bottling established in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Note: The main confusion regarding the various dates is that every historical account says Barq Brothers Bottling was established in 1890, which means Edward Sr. would have been about 19 or 20 years old at the time. But if he was 23 years old when he returned to the U.S. (as the 1943 obituary states), then the earliest date for Barq Brothers Bottling would have been in 1893 or 1894. ???

1893 = Marie Barq receives a gold medal for "Orangine" at the Chicago World's Fair.

1898 = Barq's Root Beer / Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works established in Biloxi, Miss.

1900 = "Orangine" Bottling established in Ecuador, South America.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bass:

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to toss this into the mix and see if it produces any results ...

And if you do mind, I will cancel it!

It involves my apparent obsession and inability to find a single bottle, sign, card, etc. with "Barq Brothers Bottling" on it. And regardless if such an item dates 1890 to 1897, I will give the first person who finds something along those lines a free copy of Rick Sweeney's 2002 acl book (pictured below), which is currently valued at $60. All I ask is that the qualifying item not be a newspaper article or similar reference, but be an actual item such as those mentioned above, even if all you find is a picture of the item. And if the person who finds something happens to be one of the members who recently purchased one of the books from me, I will send them their money back. There's just gotta be "something" out there that was produced by the Barq Brothers, but I'll be danged if I can anything despite the numerous hours I have searched!

Note: The free book offer will remain in effect until someone finds something or until December 31, 2016. In other words, whichever comes first.

So there you have it - be the first to find a Barq Brothers item and you will not only establish soda pop history, but also receive a $60 book to-boot!

Signed ...

Sodapopbob

ACL Soda Bottle Book (447x600).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

If anyone questions the 1890 references for Barq Brothers Bottling Company, just do a simple Google search and you will find more references than you can probably count! There are dozens if not hundreds of such references that can be found on Google!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
To reiterate and confirm ...

This is the earliest newspaper reference I can find for the Barq Brothers which confirms they were in operation in New Orleans, Louisiana at least as early as ...

April 24, 1893

Edward Barq was born on March 4, 1871 and was 22 years old when this article was published ...

Barq Brothers The Daily Picayne New Orleans April 24, 1893.jpg

Barq Brothers The Daily Picayne New Orleans April 24, 1893 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And let's not forget about these bottles! What's the story on them? I haven't found a confirmed date for any of them but suspect the deco-style bottle is from the 1930s or 1940s and the acl bottles are from the 1950s or 1960s ...

Reminder: The deco bottle is embossed on the base with "Cascade Bottling - New Orleans, Louisiana"

View attachment 172215

Reminder: Although unconfirmed, one of these acl bottles was described as being marked with "Mobile, Alabama"

View attachment 172214

View attachment 172216

Talk about "Typos" ...

When I found these acl bottles, both of them were described as "Orangine" bottles. But as it turns out they are ...

Orangico

... bottles from Pensacola, Florida and apparently have no connection whatsoever with Barq's. Now I can scratch them off my list as being related to the deco-style Orangine bottle that I'm certain is the real deal and was bottled by Cascade Bottling in New Orleans.

Currently on eBay. Check it out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-ORA...762c1a&pid=100013&rk=3&rkt=30&sd=291770221261

Orangico Bottle.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
However ...

Even with that said, this bottle cap definitely says ...

"Orangine"

... and no doubt was the one used on the deco-style bottle. So I guess I didn't strike out entirely!

Barq Orangine Cap (3).jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu