Beach bottle Find - Scotland

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KingofNowhere

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you're well. I found this bottle last week. I've done quite a bit of research, but haven't been able to nail down any of the details that would provide more information on its age and heritage. Unfortunately, I only have about a quarter of the bottle. I dug it up at a very low Spring tide, so it's probably been there a while and it was 'neck' down in the mud, with only the base showing.

I dug around for other remnants, but found none. I have researched the script on the bottle, but can't even place the 'backwards 'h'. Thought it could be Cryllic, but that doesn't seem to match either. It appears to be machine made, but as i'm a novice I could be wrong. There are 3 nodules on the base along with appears to be the letter, 'I', or a '1'. Up near the punch there seems to be the numerals, '16'. I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas? The glass is about 5mm thick.

In the same location, I also found a shard of a bottle with a swastika on it and also one with a heraldic emblem (Wolf's head, with banding underneath), also Stoneware whisky flagons, but with the maker's mark on. The beach is on the coast where the German Grand Fleet surrendered after WW1.

Best wishes,
A
20200604_194702.jpg
20200604_194746.jpg
20200604_194809.jpg

Here's the other two finds (apologies for the poor photos), but they're pretty small. The 'Wolf' is on aqua marine glass, very worn and the 'swastika' on almost clear glass. Bother found on the beach and not alot more to go on! I know the swastika was an old Christian symbol, so not necessarily Nazi. Any ideas??

Many thanks.
20200604_202912.jpg
20200604_203212.jpg

Last edited:

Troutmaster08

Reaction score
No info on the bottle but the one with the swastika must have some very interesting history behind it.

KingofNowhere

Reaction score
Trout, thanks for replying. I uploaded the pic of the swastika after my original post. It's hard to see, but it's the best pic I could take. you can see it above. I'm not even sure the germans were using the swastika in WW1, so it could be from another ship, possibly earlier, as it's very worn.

KingofNowhere

Reaction score
Trout, thanks for that, I had no idea that it was used by the British! I still think that given it's wear it could be older though. My Great Grandmother lived locally and actually saw the Grand Fleet surrender. She once gave me a postcard of one of the British dreadnoughts involved, but for my life of me I can't find it. Must have been quite some site. In WW2, my Grandmother actually married a sailor that was on the HMS Hood, but luckily he was transferred off before, it sank, otherwise I would not be here!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Impressive stuff KingofNowhere. Always nice to see someone honoring his link to the family history and appreciation for naval heroes and artifacts. Keep walking the beaches and diving for bots folks. You're saving history:cool:... Randomly, I remember singing that hit song "..We Gotta Sink The Bismark" when I was an embryo. Shout out to all the Boomers!
Btw, if you ever get up to West Point you can conveniently find Custer's grave. I called out to him but got no answer. I don't believe he's in there. ;)

..R.I.P. Ocean Gate crew...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu