beer bottles or what ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

seniorscuba1

Reaction score
Hello , I found these two bottles on the Shipwreck called The S>S Salerno. A cargo ship built in built in Britain 1884 and launched as the Lincoln City, it went through a few names until finally ending up with Salerno is it was known when she struck a reef while leaving Halifax Harbour in July 1905. The two bottles are light green i believe they are beer bottles but 'm no entirely sure I have wine bottles from this time. That I found on another wreck they ,look somewhat the same and they are wine bottles. In that case they were part of the cargo

Attachments

• DSCN0095.JPG
    DSCN0095.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106

hemihampton

Reaction score
never seen those before with the #'s on neck. do the bottoms have a kick up as some people call them, just a heavily curved pushed in bottom usually seen on Wine or Champagne bottles? LEON.

seniorscuba1

Reaction score
Hi no kick up but one of the bottles have a shield with the letters KG embossed on the bottom . The bottles are dated 1905 or possibly older that's the year the ship sunk . and what's with the 3/8 fraction on it? the rust marks on the bottles are rust from the iron hull of the Salerno.This is the Salerno a couple of days after she struck Leithfield shoal in Halifax Harbor July 1905, not long after this photo was taken when a storm blew up the ship slipped off the reef and sank . She now lies at the base of the shoal in 60 to 90 feet of water . it is a beautiful dive

Attachments

• salerno.jpg
    salerno.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 96

hemihampton

Reaction score
Interesting story, I'd guess Beer but unless you can find a original with label attached who knows? LEON.

seniorscuba1

Reaction score
I believe you are right, I just remembered a dive buddy of mine telling me he found a bottle on the same wreck alot like these ones with STARK BEER embossed on it .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora