Bellmont Georgia Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
My son picked this up at an antique store in Texas recently and I have completely struck out researching it. Bellmont Bottling/Works/Bellmont, GA. It's a very small soda bottle (6 ounce I suspect) and looks to be 1900-1905 or so. I can't even find a town in Georgia named Bellmont, though there is a very small community named Belmont. Anyone have any insight?

Attachments

• Bellmont Georgia.jpeg
    Bellmont Georgia.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Although Wikipedia is not the best source, it says the town had the variant spelling of "Bellmont". The town was founded in 1886 and by 1900 only had a population of 90 people!!! I would suspect that these bottles are pretty rare based on the tiny size of the town.

It's possible though that if the town dump was dug then many of these bottles are floating around with no one from Belmont who wants them. If no big dump was ever dug then it's possible that people who want a "full" set of Georgia sodas might pay big bucks for it.

You'd have to do some more research and ask someone who collects Georgia sodas how much it's worth locally. Try look for a local Georgian Facebook bottle group.

Oh, also, at least in my area, 6-8oz sodas were the norm although 10 and 12oz were also fairly common.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's really a strange one. Belmont GA seems like it would have been far too small for a bottling company, unless maybe it was based around a mineral spring and sold the water elsewhere. Another possibility - there was a Belmont Soda Works in Belmont, CA, I wonder if this could be the result of a mold-cutter really screwing up the lettering?

Not directly related, but while Googling I came across this picture of some people having a picnic in the 1890s in Belmont CA, and look at how many Hutchinsons they had finished off!
1712193417870.png

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's unmistakably a "G" and not a "C". That coupled with the "Bellmont" with two L's makes me think that although Bellmont, Georgia was a small town, they must have had a bottling works, at least for a short time.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator