Best bottle cleaning tool. (DIY)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have come up with a solution for cleaning the inside of a bottle of almost everything but sickness. I will try to make this as easy as possible.
Step 1- get copper scouring pads
IMG_20200420_165256.jpg

Step 2-unroll pad until you get down to a roll 4 layers thick.
IMG_20200420_165330.jpg

Step 3-cut the ring of copper pad in one spot.
IMG_20200420_165443.jpg

Step 4-unroll one end and then tightly roll up around a wooden dowel and twist in any direction until it tightens up 3 inches on the dowel. (i am using a 1/4 inch dowel 12 inches long)
IMG_20200420_165643.jpg

Step 5- I CA (Crazy glue) onto the stick.
Step 6- twist the copper into a tight whip like tail i bend over the end and twist in the same direction i twisted the copper onto the dowel. It should look like this picture.
IMG_20200420_170102.jpg

Step 7- after it dries i put it in my electric hand drill tighten up the chuck. A little clr in the bottle, then i push the copper tail in the bottle. Turn on the drill and let her rip.
IMG_20200420_164956.jpg

Step 8-Caution it foams the clr and expands so only use 1 or 2 inches in the bottle. Wait for drill to stop before removing from the bottle. The tail is sharp and will cut you. It works great for me. It never got twisted up and could not come back out. I go in both directions pulling in and out like a butter churn. Be safe use goggles.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Oh i almost forgot. Start up the drill slowly and then speed up. The spinning liquid and weight of the tail along with centrifical force will press the copper ball and some tail up against the inside walls. The faster the drill goes the harder it presses against the inside walls of the bottle. It molds to the shape of the bottle, round, square, rectangular and can reach anywhere. Use forward and reverse. Good luck!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Just tried this last night and worked pretty well. Did leave some "swirly" scratches inside but nothing too major. Thanks again for the tip.
Did you use the CLR? I never was able to scratch a bottle. I think you may have bought a cheaper copper scrubby. Use a magnet to see if it is just copper coated steel. That may be. Can you get a picture of it? If so please post. Sorry for the confusion. You can get copper wool From fine to coarse online it is not cheap. Even copper bb's are steel inside and copper coated. Hope it was not valuable.

DFW Digger

Reaction score
I have a similar set up but thought of the drill part. Damn that's smart thinking there bud gonna go try it now. No more popeye arms from shaking cut copper pellets. Btw barkeepers and copper make pressure, found out the hard way.

Timberwolf70

Reaction score
I have a similar set up but thought of the drill part. Damn that's smart thinking there bud gonna go try it now. No more popeye arms from shaking cut copper pellets. Btw barkeepers and copper make pressure, found out the hard way.
I use fine grit pool filter sand, works really well... I have a rock tumbler that I use to clean brass with a stainless steel medium... I wonder if it would work on glass?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky