Best bottle cleaning tool. (DIY)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Remi Wood

Reaction score
Shoot, I've just been using vinegar, salt, and dish soap. No wonder I'm not seeing much results. What do you use on the outside of the bottle? To give it a little shine? Mine are so grungy on the outside as well.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I use mineral oil on the inside. Pour some in tilt the bottle back and forth to coat. Turn the bottle over to drain excess oil. You can also use a paper towel with mineral oil on it rolled up stuffed in the bottle. I move it around and remove it with a piece of coat hanger to coat the inside. It skips the drain step. I use aussie leather conditioner on the outside only. (If you use it on the inside you can't buff it off and it will leave a haze) I got mine at the tandy leather store. Use the conditioner sparingly and rub it into any worn whitened areas. Takes a couple minutes to soak into bad areas. Wait til it looks clear then buff with a cloth. Think of it as a type of bottle snake oil sickness and abrasion cure. It makes bad spots clear so you don't see them so easily. Nothing is better than tumbling. This method is reversible at least. Don't do this to something you are going to sell to someone. That's just dirty pool.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

Remi Wood

Reaction score
I use mineral oil on the inside. Pour some in tilt the bottle back and forth to coat. Turn the bottle over to drain excess oil. You can also use a paper towel with mineral oil on it rolled up stuffed in the bottle. I move it around to coat the inside. It skips the drain step. I use aussie leather conditioner on the outside only. (If you use it on the inside you can't buff it off and it will leave a haze) I got mine at the tandy leather store. Use the conditioner sparingly and rub it into any worn whitened areas. Takes a couple minutes to soak into bad areas. Wait til it looks clear then buff with a cloth. Think of it as a type of bottle snake oil sickness and abrasion cure. It makes bad spots clear so you don't see them so easily. Nothing is better than tumbling. This method is reversible at least. Don't do this to something you are going to sell to someone. That's just dirty pool.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Thanks you so much, very helpful information

Dewfus

"Saving The Past So It Has A Future"
Reaction score
I have come up with a solution for cleaning the inside of a bottle of almost everything but sickness. I will try to make this as easy as possible.
Step 1- get copper scouring padsView attachment 205809
Step 2-unroll pad until you get down to a roll 4 layers thick.View attachment 205810
Step 3-cut the ring of copper pad in one spot.View attachment 205811
Step 4-unroll one end and then tightly roll up around a wooden dowel and twist in any direction until it tightens up 3 inches on the dowel. (i am using a 1/4 inch dowel 12 inches long)View attachment 205812
Step 5- I CA (Crazy glue) onto the stick.
Step 6- twist the copper into a tight whip like tail i bend over the end and twist in the same direction i twisted the copper onto the dowel. It should look like this picture. View attachment 205813
Step 7- after it dries i put it in my electric hand drill tighten up the chuck. A little clr in the bottle, then i push the copper tail in the bottle. Turn on the drill and let her rip. View attachment 205814
Step 8-Caution it foams the clr and expands so only use 1 or 2 inches in the bottle. Wait for drill to stop before removing from the bottle. The tail is sharp and will cut you. It works great for me. It never got twisted up and could not come back out. I go in both directions pulling in and out like a butter churn. Be safe use goggles.
Love it my friend I hot glued a bottle brush to a wooden rod a couple times worked pretty well lol

Dewfus

"Saving The Past So It Has A Future"
Reaction score
I use mineral oil on the inside. Pour some in tilt the bottle back and forth to coat. Turn the bottle over to drain excess oil. You can also use a paper towel with mineral oil on it rolled up stuffed in the bottle. I move it around and remove it with a piece of coat hanger to coat the inside. It skips the drain step. I use aussie leather conditioner on the outside only. (If you use it on the inside you can't buff it off and it will leave a haze) I got mine at the tandy leather store. Use the conditioner sparingly and rub it into any worn whitened areas. Takes a couple minutes to soak into bad areas. Wait til it looks clear then buff with a cloth. Think of it as a type of bottle snake oil sickness and abrasion cure. It makes bad spots clear so you don't see them so easily. Nothing is better than tumbling. This method is reversible at least. Don't do this to something you are going to sell to someone. That's just dirty pool.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
When this sickness crao is done you need to come over to my neck of the woods and show me how to so this

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
If anyone uses this tool, you must rinse out all the dirt out before using this tool. If you don't it will scratch the bottle. It is not pretty. The copper scrubber doesn't scratch, the dirt will.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Seems too harsh. The problem is, there is too much abrasion. You aren't periodically removing the debris, as it goes at a fast rate. The dirt gets between the copper and glass, and scratches the glass. Respectfully, I'll stick to less risky techniques like the salt, dish soap, and water, technique. I'd be interested in what a professional archaeologist would think about this.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Seems too harsh. The problem is, there is too much abrasion. You aren't periodically removing the debris, as it goes at a fast rate. The dirt gets between the copper and glass, and scratches the glass. Respectfully, I'll stick to less risky techniques like the salt, dish soap, and water, technique. I'd be interested in what a professional archaeologist would think about this.
Only on common items. I would tumble anything of value.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi