Best Epoxy-Resin & Coloured Dyes for Bottle Repair

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Greetings,

Doing a bit of research before attempting to repair some bottles. I'm finding the clarity of the epoxy-resin to be a key issue; products like "Ultraclear" and "Crystalclear" appear to top the list, but only seem to be available in large quantities ( no "2-part epoxy" syringes ). Further, is there a 'best' coloured dye product people prefer to use?

The 'daming' of the affected area seems to be pretty straight-forward; some use something akin to 'sticky-tack' to dam the area, another used chewing gum! Colour matching looks to be a bit of a challenge.

Much appreciate any advice received.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I have an amber tooled-lip Ozomulsion bottle with a part of the lip missing but no cracks or damage otherwise. I figured it was a good candidate for restoration. Was thinking of ways to fix the lip with epoxy. Since normal epoxy is already kind of yellow this doesn't present a color issue for fixing amber bottles. I know someone who boiled coffee until it was just sludge and then mixed some of the sludge in with the epoxy until the proper amber color was achieved. I haven't tried this technique yet but I will soon. I'm sure with patience and experimentation the correct shade of amber can be achieved. As for clear or aqua glass I haven't experimented yet but you sound like you're on the correct path. Making the mold for the epoxy out of gum or sticky tack is a good idea because it can just be scraped off once the epoxy is cured.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac