Best way to find bottles that were dumped in a deep, muddy river?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NC btl-dvr

Reaction score
Yes there are bottles there, will you be able to get them, probably not. Bottle from the era you're talking about were pretty heavy and sank rapidly. I doubt they've moved much but if one did happen to roll a few miles down river I'm not sure it would be worth finding.

K6TIM

Reaction score
So, in my large city there's no way to legally or practically dive into the river which runs through town. On the vast majority of records, all trash was dumped into it prior to city-wide sanitation services which began in 1914. The river itself is 50 feet deep with a swift current, boat traffic, and inches of visibility; on the fire department is allowed to dive in rescue scenarios. Do you think with such a swift current that the bottles may have ended up way downstream in a shallower area? Or do you think they're buried in time underneath the water near the floor where the current may not be so swift? They dredge it every now and then, but that's a restricted, highly regulated thing the city does and the banks of the river were redone with rocks to prevent erosion, which took out the first few feet of the bank. Maybe it's hopeless and just made the bottles more rare, but I figured I'd ask!
Sometimes you find your oldest bottles in both lakes and riversThey sometime wash-up on shore line!

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Yes there are bottles there, will you be able to get them, probably not. Bottle from the era you're talking about were pretty heavy and sank rapidly. I doubt they've moved much but if one did happen to roll a few miles down river I'm not sure it would be worth finding.
Wait for a major drought and then try the banks and low areas.
Thanks guys for all the advice. They dumped (bottlers and everyone in the city, as well as the trash dump from 1914-1920) in one of the river which flows into the other (the confluence is right downtown). I looked at nautical chart and depth map and it seems like the deepest (20-50 feet) parts are upstream. Everything within city limits and for a decent way downstream is 5-10 feet. So I'll likely get a net and a kayak (or someone with a boat) and just try out scraping the bottom along certain spots. I'll probably go lurk around the banks and low areas before anything else, but the area uses locks and dams to ensure the water level stays high enough for boat traffic. Plus it's just a pain getting down to the waterline, with all the boulders, modern glass, and needles lol. But hey may as well give it a shot and if nothing else hop in a kayak. Even if I don't get anything old I'll get some trash out of the river!

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice. They dumped (bottlers and everyone in the city, as well as the trash dump from 1914-1920) in one of the river which flows into the other (the confluence is right downtown). I looked at nautical chart and depth map and it seems like the deepest (20-50 feet) parts are upstream. Everything within city limits and for a decent way downstream is 5-10 feet. So I'll likely get a net and a kayak (or someone with a boat) and just try out scraping the bottom along certain spots. I'll probably go lurk around the banks and low areas before anything else, but the area uses locks and dams to ensure the water level stays high enough for boat traffic. Plus it's just a pain getting down to the waterline, with all the boulders, modern glass, and needles lol. But hey may as well give it a shot and if nothing else hop in a kayak. Even if I don't get anything old I'll get some trash out of the river!
Did I miss what city you're in? If it's a major city, your certainly not the first person to do this. Some bottles are worth some good money. Try reaching out to some older (61but I can still move some real-estate) diggers. I did and got some great stories and places to try.

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Did I miss what city you're in? If it's a major city, your certainly not the first person to do this. Some bottles are worth some good money. Try reaching out to some older (61but I can still move some real-estate) diggers. I did and got some great stories and places to try.

Eh, I’ve only heard of one other digger from an old Facebook thread. Every spot I’ve been to is untouched so far. I’ve posted on here before looking for digging buddies, but there’s no one in the general area it seems. I’m in Charleston, WV which is about 200,000 in the metro area 2020 and probably 300,000 in 1970–not too big, not too small. It’s really surprising that I haven’t been in any deadends yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Eh, I’ve only heard of one other digger from an old Facebook thread. Every spot I’ve been to is untouched so far. I’ve posted on here before looking for digging buddies, but there’s no one in the general area it seems. I’m in Charleston, WV which is about 200,000 in the metro area 2020 and probably 300,000 in 1970–not too big, not too small. It’s really surprising that I haven’t been in any deadends yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It took me 2 1/2 years to have someone contact me thru this forum. I tell people what I do, show them what I find next thing I know 4 really good people that can't do it anymore but like helping me out. A little bigger area, Chicago but it took a long time to make contacts.

MountainMan304

Reaction score
It took me 2 1/2 years to have someone contact me thru this forum. I tell people what I do, show them what I find next thing I know 4 really good people that can't do it anymore but like helping me out. A little bigger area, Chicago but it took a long time to make contacts.
I met a forum member through here--and older digger--from another state that's been helping me with mapping technology and looking at spots with me that I've picked out. I'm sure there are some lurkers on here or they just didn't see it, you're right. It's probably a matter of finding something good to show them it's worth it hahahaha

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
A clam rake is a possibility. There are also oyster-collecting tongs: https://thisfish.info/fishery/eastern-oyster-tongs-pei/

1650588190721.png

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch