Birch beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have had many varieties of it over the years. They range from spicy and sweet to just sweet, but I also have made it at home. Its very easy to make (watch the recipes online since there is an alcoholic and a non-alcoholic version). I also make gingerale (also very easy) with close to the same heat as Blenheim hot variety (which blows away Vernors).
I carbonate mine with a homemade carbonation system much better than marketed ones. It was 100.00 initial outlay for equipment (though can be had on Craigslist for half that if you look). And it only is 15.00 for refill once a YEAR, and I use the system 4-5 times a week on a generic 2 or 3 liter bottle! In other words - also no extra money for special bottles. The system has way more than paid for itself. And I carbonate to 60 PSI instead of 30 PSI like Pepsi Coke, etc.!
Does raising the PSI increase the time your drink stays carbonated?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

epackage

Reaction score
Thee BEST Birch Beer on the PLANET, Boylan's Creamy Red, bars around here in NJ used to have birch beer on tap and guys like me would order Half Birch Half Beer in a mug...

# 1a1aaaaaaaaa.jpg

Jstorm

Reaction score
Thee BEST Birch Beer on the PLANET, Boylan's Creamy Red, bars around here in NJ used to have birch beer on tap and guys like me would order Half Birch Half Beer in a mug...

View attachment 232178
I am going to believe you and order it. I will probably have to donate an organ for postage! I also have found an Acl called Ginger beer. I live in northern Indiana and am older but have never heard of either one. So thanks for the great info. You East coast people are awesome

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Does raising the PSI increase the time your drink stays carbonated?
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I really don't know for sure. Its not around long enough to find out! I am being serious. I typically carbonate a 3 liter bottle of water one morning and the next day about noon its gone and I do another. I just like how the fizz is so much stronger. It tends to clear the sinuses!
Its about all I drink anymore as I don't miss the flavor, it seems the fizz is what I like most about carbonated drinks.
I did learn not to super carbonate a new bottle of cola though. It upsets my stomach. I am guessing the chemicals in it are more active with all that bubbling going on.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I am going to believe you and order it. I will probably have to donate an organ for postage! I also have found an Acl called Ginger beer. I live in northern Indiana and am older but have never heard of either one. So thanks for the great info. You East coast people are awesome
I didn't know that ginger beer wasn't a standard supermarket drink everywhere. It's very common around here, there are dozens of different brands available. Think ginger ale but MUCH stronger flavour. I'd definitely recommend it, it's one of my favourite sodas. I would expect the stores in larger cities near you to carry it, it's much more popular than birch beer and used in several mixed drinks.
If you're ever in Quebec you should try spruce beer as well. It's a very odd drink. I don't know if you'll like it (it's an acquired taste) but it's definitely memorable. Not the easiest stuff to find though, authentic spruce beer can only be purchased from one little hot dog restaurant in Montreal, and it can't be shipped elsewhere because it has to be kept constantly refrigerated. The spruce beer available in stores is either semi-authentic but altered to allow it to thaw out or the Cott/store brand variety which is basically Christmas tree-flavoured 7-Up and bears little resemblance to the traditional drink.

Jstorm

Reaction score
I didn't know that ginger beer wasn't a standard supermarket drink everywhere. It's very common around here, there are dozens of different brands available. Think ginger ale but MUCH stronger flavour. I'd definitely recommend it, it's one of my favourite sodas. I would expect the stores in larger cities near you to carry it, it's much more popular than birch beer and used in several mixed drinks.
If you're ever in Quebec you should try spruce beer as well. It's a very odd drink. I don't know if you'll like it (it's an acquired taste) but it's definitely memorable. Not the easiest stuff to find though, authentic spruce beer can only be purchased from one little hot dog restaurant in Montreal, and it can't be shipped elsewhere because it has to be kept constantly refrigerated. The spruce beer available in stores is either semi-authentic but altered to allow it to thaw out or the Cott/store brand variety which is basically Christmas tree-flavoured 7-Up and bears little resemblance to the traditional drink.
Thanks for that. Always like to try different things!

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Spruce beer? Sounds interesting. I have spent a lot of time in Quebec - but only out in the boonies fishing. Wish I had known of this before. I don't get up that way anymore :(
I might like it. I used to make Hemlock (TREE!) tea all the time.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Always like to try different things!
Ginger beer often used as a mixer such as in Moscow Mules. Look at your neighborhood liquor store. Mine has probably ten different ginger beers. (Most in cans) My liquor store also has some pop brands I don’t see anywhere else.

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
Been drinking birch beer for as long as I can remember. Living in Eastern Pennsylvania it was a staple at family reunions and community picnics. Almost always came in kegs and was a product of the local breweries. The best are dark red in color with normal carbonation. Ginger, root, birch and spruce beers are all traditional drinks starting in the early 1700s thru the mid 1800s and were the product of "Small Beer Brewers." Traditionally they were brewed and were slightly alcoholic. Spruce beer was actually one of the manufactured products that was exported to England during the colonial period. See the below link for bottles embossed Birch Beer:

Soda And Beers-Birch Beers

The Decker's from New Jersey are rally nice.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Been drinking birch beer for as long as I can remember. Living in Eastern Pennsylvania it was a staple at family reunions and community picnics. Almost always came in kegs and was a product of the local breweries. The best are dark red in color with normal carbonation. Ginger, root, birch and spruce beers are all traditional drinks starting in the early 1700s thru the mid 1800s and were the product of "Small Beer Brewers." Traditionally they were brewed and were slightly alcoholic. Spruce beer was actually one of the manufactured products that was exported to England during the colonial period. See the below link for bottles embossed Birch Beer:

Soda And Beers-Birch Beers

The Decker's from New Jersey are rally nice.
Never knew spruce beer was ever exported. I know the issue of it being alcoholic was a big factor in the collapse of the traditional spruce beer industry in Quebec back in the 80s or 90s. It was sold as a soda until it came out that it had comparable alcohol levels to light beer, and since people had been buying it for their kids there was a big uproar and the main company making it was almost wiped out.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown