Birch beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
This could turn into a real pissing contest!!! I only replied by stating what I have personally experienced. Not verifying facts from some statement made in an article that you may have read. This is something I have done and have firsthand experience doing. I have not chewed on tree twigs nor bark of some of the trees you mentioned for the reasons you stated. All I said was I have dug the roots of the Sassafras tree and washed and chewed on them and made a tea out of the boiled roots. I have gone to the store and purchased the sassafras roots that have been shaved into strips and made the tea that way also.
Why don't you go and find a Sassafras tree, and dig up some of the roots and see what it tastes like. I'd tell you what the leaves look like, but I'm sure you already know what it looks like. And your reference to young people having some sort of skewed ideas based on the media, doesn't fly with me. I am 78 years old and know enough to experience something first hand before I try to defend an opinion. Now "that's my story and I'm sticking to it"
I hope you saw what was at the end of my initial post where I missed seeing your name and admitted I had mistakenly assumed you were inexperienced: I apologized and will again apologize that you were in some way insulted or I offended you. Instead of retyping I was hoping (well, assuming) you would understand my mistake and be able to look past the obvious references which did not apply.

I guess you did not notice that nowhere did I question your experience? I only addressed why the drinks are named what they are while mistakenly thinking someone without experience (younger) had asked the question. I then put in a note which I would do with any younger person of not falling into the trap of thinking an opinion is always true but verifiable facts are needed. Being a teacher, I can easily testify this mindset is NOT is something students are taught nowadays for the most part. They are taught what to think instead of how.

As to actually experiencing digging the sassafras roots and boiling/using them, I have also done that (many times) as well. There is no way you could no know I used to be avidly into what I called "survival camping," (meaning nothing except the clothes on my back went into the woods with me where I would live off of the land for a number of days). I also have used this very tree and its parts to teach people some of the skills it takes to live in the wild, as well as using other many other plants the same way.

So while our personal experiences with this specific root have varied, what I experienced many times over was exactly in line with what I originally posted, and what you will find in survival textbooks, recipes for wild teas, etc. When the internet was born it just made it easier to find these things.

The sassafras root I have made tea from (again, many times) has a flavor including anise with no hint of wintergreen (as the birch I have used many times does). This falls in line with all the sources I have seen.

I also have no idea why your experiences were different. And if you look back, I never questioned your experience which, in my opinion/experience, would be a very foolish thing for me to do seeing as I was not there!

I hope this clears up my thoughts and reasons for what I posted.

Jstorm

Reaction score
Thee BEST Birch Beer on the PLANET, Boylan's Creamy Red, bars around here in NJ used to have birch beer on tap and guys like me would order Half Birch Half Beer in a mug...

View attachment 232178
I got to get me some of that! Makes you want to drink the dang picture! Yeah unfortunately none of that good stuff here . I'm going to order it but the postage! I miles well drive to the east for that!

Old man digger

Reaction score
I hope you saw what was at the end of my initial post where I missed seeing your name and admitted I had mistakenly assumed you were inexperienced: I apologized and will again apologize that you were in some way insulted or I offended you. Instead of retyping I was hoping (well, assuming) you would understand my mistake and be able to look past the obvious references which did not apply.

I guess you did not notice that nowhere did I question your experience? I only addressed why the drinks are named what they are while mistakenly thinking someone without experience (younger) had asked the question. I then put in a note which I would do with any younger person of not falling into the trap of thinking an opinion is always true but verifiable facts are needed. Being a teacher, I can easily testify this mindset is NOT is something students are taught nowadays for the most part. They are taught what to think instead of how.

As to actually experiencing digging the sassafras roots and boiling/using them, I have also done that (many times) as well. There is no way you could no know I used to be avidly into what I called "survival camping," (meaning nothing except the clothes on my back went into the woods with me where I would live off of the land for a number of days). I also have used this very tree and its parts to teach people some of the skills it takes to live in the wild, as well as using other many other plants the same way.

So while our personal experiences with this specific root have varied, what I experienced many times over was exactly in line with what I originally posted, and what you will find in survival textbooks, recipes for wild teas, etc. When the internet was born it just made it easier to find these things.

The sassafras root I have made tea from (again, many times) has a flavor including anise with no hint of wintergreen (as the birch I have used many times does). This falls in line with all the sources I have seen.

I also have no idea why your experiences were different. And if you look back, I never questioned your experience which, in my opinion/experience, would be a very foolish thing for me to do seeing as I was not there!

I hope this clears up my thoughts and reasons for what I posted.
Somehow, I knew you were a teacher!!! I guess I will have to chalk this up to different types of taste buds. I just can't get the Anise flavor part of it. My experience with the Anise flavor has only come from the Fennel plant. I have never tried the Birch twig thing. Mint tea and mint jelly made from leaves I have done. Somewhere on hear I saw someone was going to make a drink using HEMLOCK. I hope for their sake they do not do that, but I will leave that up to their discretion...Dave

Old man digger

Reaction score
Somehow, I knew you were a teacher!!! I guess I will have to chalk this up to different types of taste buds. I just can't get the Anise flavor part of it. My experience with the Anise flavor has only come from the Fennel plant. I have never tried the Birch twig thing. Mint tea and mint jelly made from leaves I have done. Somewhere on hear I saw someone was going to make a drink using HEMLOCK. I hope for their sake they do not do that, but I will leave that up to their discretion. Wasn't Hemlock the drink that killed Socrates?

epackage

Reaction score
I got to get me some of that! Makes you want to drink the dang picture! Yeah unfortunately none of that good stuff here . I'm going to order it but the postage! I miles well drive to the east for that!
I will gladly send you a bottle if you pay the actual shipping from NJ 07421, let me know

Jstorm

Reaction score
I will gladly send you a bottle if you pay the actual shipping from NJ 07421, let me

I will gladly send you a bottle if you pay the actual shipping from NJ 07421, let me know
Absolutely. That's good of you. If you want to PM me where to send a money order or check I have no problem with that. Very cool. After I taste it and post the results promise me you guys won't beat me up! Lol. Just kidding! Thank you

epackage

Reaction score
Absolutely. That's good of you. If you want to PM me where to send a money order or check I have no problem with that. Very cool. After I taste it and post the results promise me you guys won't beat me up! Lol. Just kidding! Thank you
Sent you a PM

Jstorm

Reaction score
Sent you a PM
So I found some of that Birch beer and had my first one( I know big deal) but a very different very good taste. Seems like a vanilla taste probably obviously from the oils in different part or parts of the tree. Pretty impressive! You all have to understand it's just not common here. Wish I had known years ago! Don't beat me up for my findings! I don’t know who makes the best ( other than homemade) but this was Boylan's Creamy. Thanks

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Ayup! Its still a big New England thing! Please don't make it a Moxie though. The best Birch Beer is clear.

Jstorm

Reaction score
Ayup! Its still a big New England thing! Please don't make it a Moxie though. The best Birch Beer is clear.
I wish I had something to compare to over here but I can't think of any kind of special drinks unless you want to know the ones we make in the garage on the weekends!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu