Bitters ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tuppence

Reaction score
Found this bottle clearing up. Dark green, square with somewhat rounded shoulders. It has an applied seal depicting Star of David, with fish in the centre, and surmounted by HR. One panel is embossed HARTVIG KANTOROVICZ POSEN. Now surfing here and there I've come across quite a few kantoroviczes, but none seem to have applied seals.
Anybody out there enlighten me ?

Ec87270.jpg

Attachments

• Ec87270.jpg
    Ec87270.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 89

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
This bottle may have been made in one of the countries around the Baltic Sea for use by the Polish distiller Hartwig-Kantorowicz. Are the initials on the seal at all doubtful, say a poor strike? An HK would be more obvious than HR.

This is a case bottle which was used for liqueur, brandy or gin. The salmon with a star of David is the trade symbol for "Danziger Goldwasser" liqueur. The salmon, IIRC, originally was a street address before numbers were used.

See Plate 208 in Van den Bossche.

Nice bottle!

-----------Harry Pristis

tuppence

Reaction score
Would love to have a look at plate 208 in van den Bossche, but must have mislaid my copy !! Thanks, I'll find it !
Mike

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey Harry, Mike and all,
I just bought this book a couple of weeks ago and I'm very happy I did! I have only thumbed through it so far, but this is truly a well put together book. The photos are brilliant. I think I drooled on every other page or so. [:-][:-][:-]

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Yes, it is an incredible book. I certainly recommend Van den Bossche's book for those who collect early glass.

I understand the drooling part! LOL

Is it still selling for about US$90.00?

----------Harry Pristis

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Harry,
I got mine for $24.99 + S&H and it was wrapped in plastic, brand new. I saved $75 or so, waiting, because I really wanted to buy it when it first came out. It first listed at $99+

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi