Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Bixby Bottles

cyberdigger

Nov 29, 2008
NJ
Well, that was very educational and enjoyable.. much better than I expected when I was posting my little find.. quite impressive indeed..!

Bixby Bill

Apr 24, 2009
Wilbraham, MA
Here are the cylindrical mucilage bottles, all of which have sheared lips, stand about 2 7/8" tall, and have "Bixby" embossed on the base. I`ve found them in aqua, which is common unlabelled, and green, which is pretty scarce. The aqua ones are hard to find with a good label. There are two different labels found on these, one with a plain looking label that says "Bixby`s Extra Heavy Mucilage", and this is the only one of these I`ve seen, and another label that has "Bixby`s Ready Glue Liquid Cement" that turns up once in a great while with a label, but the labels are usually in sad shape.

Attachments

Bixby Bill

Apr 24, 2009
Wilbraham, MA
Now for the "mushroom" style mucilage bottles. These two pictured here are identical bottles, except that one has a label that says "Office / Bixby / Stand". They are 9 sided, 1" OD sheared lip, embossed "S.M. / Bixby / & Co. / N.Y." on 4 of the panels. I`ve only seen these embossed ones in aqua and this size, and they aren`t hard to find if you look.

Attachments

cowseatmaize

Dec 2, 2004
Northeastern USA
I think I know why the Baltimore show didn't acknowledge you request Bill.
That's too much awesome for one table. That or they didn't want a hands down winner of the best in show display. [:)]
Very, very nice!!!

Bixby Bill

Apr 24, 2009
Wilbraham, MA
Here are the three different unembossed ones that I`ve found. The first one is smaller with a ground lip and a screw top with an unusual design on it. The next two are the same body size as the embossed ones, except that the aqua one has a smaller 7/8" OD sheared lip, and the other one is clear glass, which is the only color other than aqua that I have seen these in.

Attachments

Bixby Bill

Apr 24, 2009
Wilbraham, MA
Here we have the six sizes of laundry blueing bottles that I know of. They are aqua, have either applied or tooled lips, and are embossed "French / S.M. Bixby & Co. (in an oval) / Blue". I have them in sizes 4 1/2", 5", 5 3/4", 7" (the most commonly found one), 8 7/8", and 9" tall. I found the my last addition to them a couple months ago, and I`ll probably find other sizes too eventually. The two larger ones I have are very close in height, almost too close to count as different, but the body heights are definitely different.

Attachments

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarhead52