Bizarre base marking/pontil combo on import black glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skoda

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been getting a bit more into collecting again and I remembered this odd example I picked up several years ago and never made a thread on. It's a black glass ale/port/whatever imported piece from the 1850's-70's with a typical 3-piece mold and is perhaps a bit wider than most I've seen. What makes it odd is the base, which has a "+" shaped marking with a pontil scar right on top of it. It's obvious to me that the marking was something on the baseplate and not a sort of "branding" from the pontil; I've seen plenty of import black glass bottles with pontils and plenty with plus or X-shaped base markings but never both at the same time. Has anyone ever come across anything like this before?
1611273864814.png
1611273880983.png

Nickneff

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been getting a bit more into collecting again and I remembered this odd example I picked up several years ago and never made a thread on. It's a black glass ale/port/whatever imported piece from the 1850's-70's with a typical 3-piece mold and is perhaps a bit wider than most I've seen. What makes it odd is the base, which has a "+" shaped marking with a pontil scar right on top of it. It's obvious to me that the marking was something on the baseplate and not a sort of "branding" from the pontil; I've seen plenty of import black glass bottles with pontils and plenty with plus or X-shaped base markings but never both at the same time. Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? View attachment 217536View attachment 217537
Never dug one of those but I've seen a few part of the country in Kentucky I have dug a lot of those type but they are Amber around here we call them squat beers I dug a hole one time and it had a squat beer in it had XXX ale it cornflower blue it's a very good bottle in Kentucky big money and Louisville Kentucky it went 25 feet deep and we dug 17 of those squat beers they wer hole too but I like the color of it it's really nice bottle I like it

Skoda

Reaction score
Yes. Here's a case bottle with a similar mark:

Oh nice, killer! There we go, hadn't seen another but now I have.

I don't think that's a Pontil?

I'm fairly certain it's a sand/sticky ball pontil- It's hard to discern it from the photo but there are some very rough, borderline sharp glass particle protrusions in the circular pattern seen. I suppose it could potentially be a mold defect as well though I'm uncertain what would cause that to happen in that particular shape.

sandchip

Reaction score
It's just a pontil scar over embossing, no different from the JFL Capitol Bitters or the Kossuth calabash.

Reaction score
Wow! If its a dark green glass ( making it look black) it could be a Stoddard glassworks bottle. That mark is very familiar. Check it out.

Reaction score
I have this black glass bottle with an embossed dot and 4 lines coming out of each side. No pontil marks.

Attachments

• BOTTLES - BLACK GLASS BOTTLE (1); = (#0305) (1).JPG
    BOTTLES - BLACK GLASS BOTTLE (1); = (#0305) (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 452
  • BOTTLES - BLACK GLASS BOTTLE (1); = (#0305) (10).JPG
    BOTTLES - BLACK GLASS BOTTLE (1); = (#0305) (10).JPG
    886.9 KB · Views: 241

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members