Black Bear Brand

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jysk

Reaction score
I found a very cool bottle in Vancouver B.C. It came from an excavation in a very old part of town called Blood Alley. I don't collect so forgive me if this is a common sort of item to you folks. I believe it's not.

I've only rinsed away the clay and soil with a trickle from a garden hose. I don't know if it once held beer or soda.

It has an intact wooden, screw-in cap with a sort of red rubber seal squished right in the mouth's threads. The wood seems more brittle today then it did yesterday when I discovered it. I haven't unscrewed and removed the cap yet. Is doing nothing to treat the wood going to damage it?

It's embossed with the words; Registered, Black Bear Brand, Cross & Co Ltd Vancouver B.C. It also has the companies logo. An "iron cross" type cross with "&Co" on it's lower end.

The bottom is embossed too. The letters "E. B. Co Ltd" and the number 12146 is embossed around the base circumference. I can't get a good photograph of those underside letters.

Could 12146 be it's stamp date? Dec 1/1946?

RedRubberCapSeal.jpg

BBBRight.jpg

BBBLeft.jpg

cad75ef2.jpg

Mike

jysk

Reaction score
I managed to get a picture of the both the wooden bottle stopper top, and of the embossing on the bottom. "E. B. & Co Ld. 12146"

Any opinions about the number?

BBBCorkTop.jpg

BBBBottom.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
Dont know what it might be but I like it, the cross on it is the best part though[:D]
It looks as if its still got something in it thats unusual esp. with it having a cork which usually means old

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm not big on English bottles but I'd say it's a ginger beer, beer or ale or maybe soda. The internal threads were very common on a multitude of embossed bottles over there around 1910 +- 10 years or so.
I don't think the Canadians used as many but they had pretty close ties to Britain. They may have made there own or Britain may have exported them.

jysk

Reaction score
Thanks you guys, I appreciate your thoughts.

Wvhillbilly, it is a very cool cross. I like it too. Until I find out more about it, I'll leave the bottle's contents alone.

Cowseatmaize, since my first post, I've found that the BLM has an awesome website on this subject. I looked at the sections discussing inside threads, and noticed that the stoppers were typically made of hard rubber and less commonly glass. No mention was made of wood. (I'll re-read it to make sure). It's interesting.

And as for origin, you've sure got me thinking. I assumed that the embossed words "Vancouver BC" implied that the bottle was made locally. But it could have been made in England, for sale in the target market of Vancouver. There isn't any obvious record of a Cross & Co bottling plant having been in Vancouver, but I haven't done any real research yet.

I have a few more pictures to share.

BBBVancouverBC-Gamma.jpg

RedRubberCapSealGamma.jpg

BBBMouthStructue.jpg

Mike

capsoda

Reaction score
Looking at your pics I'd say that your bottle is older than most internal thread bottles. By the crudeness of the applied top probably late 1870s to 1890.

The cross would symbolize not only the name but was a good luck symbol too.

jysk

Reaction score
That old eh? It was almost lost for good.It was unearthed with a 330 Cat Excavater using a 5 foot wide digging bucket!

I've been having fun learning about this hobby and I've enjoyed researching this bottle.

How is a bottles value assessed?

How do I find a home for it?

Mike

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Mike, Usually a bottle is accessed acording toage, rarety, condition, color and a few other factors but it all comes down to how much someone is willing to pay for it.

We have over 4000 members and a few hundred are regulars. This equals alot of knowledge about bottles but know one has any info on yours. I would do alot of research to find out just how rare it is and go from there but I am a collector and don't sell many bottles.

If you are interested in selling it I would go wilt Ebay. Put up a reserve of what you want for it and see what happens.

jysk

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

Looking at your pics I'd say that your bottle is older than most internal thread bottles. By the crudeness of the applied top probably late 1870s to 1890.

Nice guess Capsoda!

Remember that on the bottle's bottom is embossed "E.B. & Co. LTD 12146? I found a reference to E.B.& Co. LTD. months ago that said they were a bottle manufacturer in England at about that time. I regret that I can't cite that article.

By the info I've found regarding English glass, (http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/5772/odds.htm) I'm convinced that 12146 is it's registration number and that this bottle was made in 1877.

Now I just need to know what was in it.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora