Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Black Glass Barrel???

Ben

Nov 19, 2011
Northern New York
Cool bottle! Can we get a picture of it held up to a light? I'd like to know if it's a dark green or dark brown.
It's super dark green. The flash light inside of it is a really bright LED. Also, the second picture shows the bottom of the interior. It's hard to see in the picture but the glass is sloped up one of the sides.

Attachments

K6TIM

Jan 14, 2021
This was part of a small collection of bottles I recently purchased. I have no idea what it is. It is super dark. Any help identifying it would be appreciated. Is it common? Food? Snuff?... Thanks!
That's a nice barrel mustard bottle.Mine is natural green glass one.Check if you can see a purple tint.Put it to the sun or bright lite.It might be a painted black one that was done when making it!
K6TIM

embe

Jul 14, 2019
Any idea what type of condiment? Might get a couple scoops of mustard or jam out of it, just seems a bit small. I suppose capers, horseradish or something a bit more concentrated would make sense.

Harry Pristis

Jul 24, 2003
Northcentral Florida
Any idea what type of condiment? Might get a couple scoops of mustard or jam out of it, just seems a bit small. I suppose capers, horseradish or something a bit more concentrated would make sense.
I have a few of these little jars. In my efforts to answer your question, I sought answers from British collectors (Britain seems to be where they were made). I have a couple from named tips. I am satisfied with calling them food paste jars -- probably meat or fish paste.

No doubt they had paper labels, though it seems that none survived. The small portion size might be explained, in part, by the difficulty in preserving leftovers in the late 1800s. The jar would hold enough to make a hearty fish paste sandwich.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbie N