Black glass bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
DeepSeaDan,
Here's a thought, could it possibly be a sticky ball pontil? RED Matthew's talked about a sticky ball pontil somewhere on this forum. I believe they were pretty smooth. Maybe one of the pontil experts can chime in here... And yes that gall glass color is nice.... Roy
I had a look back - mine is similar to this one:

Reactions: Roy

TROG

Reaction score
She certainly is a beauty! And as Roy said, it appears your analysis is pretty spot on. Now here's another question: Is this a pontil as well? Your bottle's pontil is obvious, but I'm not so sure about this one, though the gall glass is pretty cool...
English bottle with refired pontil and dates to around 1860

Semar

Reaction score
I was wondering what year and what this black glass bottle might have held. It is 3” at the base. 3.5” at the shoulder. It looks like it was blown in a 3 pc mold. Crude applied lip. Sharp sand pontil on the base. Actually a dark olive green. Here are a bunch of pictures. Thank you for any replies and information. My guess is early 1800’s dip mold of some kind and held bitters or mineral water? What do you think?
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Sure is a 3 piece mold there and I'll bet it was a liquor bottle.
I'm getting a Stoddard or Covington vibe from the glass, I think it's American work.

Here's a refired pontil on a small sauce or ??? bottle.
If you look carefully at the right-hand picture you can see that the bottom is almost perfectly flat with the barest shadow of the pontil mark. After the pontil was broken off the bottle was stuck back into the glory hole and reheated then flattened with probably a wood paddle.

Attachments

• DSCF0617.jpg
    DSCF0617.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0618.jpg
    DSCF0618.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0620.jpg
    DSCF0620.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Latest posts