Black glass grave yard

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
Made it back under today and decide to dig out the layer of black glass left behind by what must have been a saloon or gambling hall during the gold rush. The glass is so thick that I could hardly dig in it! After a little bit in the first whole bottle showed up, and to my surprise it end up being an IP New England whiskey cylinder, needless to say I'm stoked! After that I dug a couple more blacks, and that finished out the bottles for the day. I cam back around and hit the beads again, and then under some bricks a nice surprise...

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Nice IP New England cylinder waiting to be pulled out!
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

Half a bears grease lid, sadly couldn't find the rest...
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

All this came out of 4x4 foot area... They must have smashed it all on purpose... Luckily they left a few for me, the New England cylinder made it all worth while...
IMG_0666.jpg

So here is the surprise, if you look closely in the center of the pic you can see a round edge.... Ended up being two Mexican 8 reales! Not super coins but great fun to find... Then a little after that pulling down the brick from the top a little silver coin falls out, a nice 1897 dime, just as I first saw it... I cant believe how clean it is. The last pic is the strand of trade beads in situ...

Thanks for looking everyone!
IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Looking great Matt, hoping you get some really good stuff out of there...[;)]

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Doug, Great post. This might be a stupid question but what tribes do you suppose they were trading with? Are you planning to sift any of the dirt? I hope you have only scratched the surface and there is much more to come. Please post some cleaned up pictures when you can. Kevin

surfaceone

Reaction score
IMG_0663.jpg

Hey Matt,

I feel muddy! Thanks for the great time capsule photo spread.

Tell me, please, is that an antler scratcher in the foreground of the above photo?

These under building spelunking with shovels and scratchers expeditions knock me out. Thanks for taking us along, and bring
on the beads and silver!

indian-beadwork.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

He already did get some "really good stuff".[;)]

Cool digs T
I was hoping he would have the kind of success you've had with a few of your finds...[;)]

FitSandTic

Reaction score
You must be having a blast thanks for posting the pics.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Well you sure got yourself a nice spot! The New England glass even follows you to Cali! lol

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora