Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Black ink bottles from Providence Rhode Island, circa 1840-45

Apr 20, 2019
Burrington ink bottle.JPG
We were thrilled to find these two ink bottles on Ebay. The labeled larger bottle comes from chemist/pharmacist Henry Hudson Burrington (1795-1850), my husband's (also a chemist) third great uncle from Providence Rhode Island. So, the chemistry thing - think it's genetic?

saratogadriver

Sep 10, 2009
No apology needed. You won that one fair and square and I can't blame you at all. That's the nature of the beast... it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I certainly don't think you overpaid for it. Those older labeled pontiled inks have REALLY increased in value the last 15 years...

Jim G

Apr 20, 2019
That Burrington's Ink is amazing, what a great find as a family heirloom. I assume you probably already have one, but there is also a Burrington's Vegetable Croup Syrup bottle from Providence as well? It must be the same Burrington, RI isn't a very big place.

PROVIDENCE RI RHODE ISLAND BURRINGTON'S VEGETABLE CROUP SYRUP MEDICINE BOTTLE | #1874373536 (worthpoint.com)
YES - we actually have quite a few of the croup syrup bottles - we had to get one for everyone in the family, so it took a few years. Our oldest son got the first one for his birthday. He said, "Did you have this made?" We said, "Nope, this is from 1840, dug up from a Civil War privy." Jim's sister Mary Anne said, "Where is MINE?" and I explained, "They have to dig up another one." But eventually, we got one for everyone. We have such great variations in color - clear, pink, green, brown (from soil, presumably).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benC