Black ink bottles from Providence Rhode Island, circa 1840-45

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GatesMillsGirl

Reaction score
Burrington ink bottle.JPG
We were thrilled to find these two ink bottles on Ebay. The labeled larger bottle comes from chemist/pharmacist Henry Hudson Burrington (1795-1850), my husband's (also a chemist) third great uncle from Providence Rhode Island. So, the chemistry thing - think it's genetic?

saratogadriver

Reaction score
No apology needed. You won that one fair and square and I can't blame you at all. That's the nature of the beast... it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I certainly don't think you overpaid for it. Those older labeled pontiled inks have REALLY increased in value the last 15 years...

Jim G

treasurekidd

Reaction score

GatesMillsGirl

Reaction score
That Burrington's Ink is amazing, what a great find as a family heirloom. I assume you probably already have one, but there is also a Burrington's Vegetable Croup Syrup bottle from Providence as well? It must be the same Burrington, RI isn't a very big place.

PROVIDENCE RI RHODE ISLAND BURRINGTON'S VEGETABLE CROUP SYRUP MEDICINE BOTTLE | #1874373536 (worthpoint.com)
YES - we actually have quite a few of the croup syrup bottles - we had to get one for everyone in the family, so it took a few years. Our oldest son got the first one for his birthday. He said, "Did you have this made?" We said, "Nope, this is from 1840, dug up from a Civil War privy." Jim's sister Mary Anne said, "Where is MINE?" and I explained, "They have to dig up another one." But eventually, we got one for everyone. We have such great variations in color - clear, pink, green, brown (from soil, presumably).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi