black opaque bottle, seems old

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of what this bottle is or how old it might be? I think it's pretty old. It's almost entirely opaque unless you hold it up to the light. It's very heavy even for it's size. It has some sort of flaw in it and a....dent (yeah, I don't know the terminology yet) it has no mold seams and no identifiers. It's neck is crooked.

Resized_20220511_185526.jpeg

Resized_20220511_185537.jpeg

Resized_20220511_185554.jpeg

Resized_20220511_185603.jpeg

crwncrk

Reaction score
Can you get a close-up of the neck with stronger lighting? Trying to figure out if it’s an applied or tooled lip (and also if it’s dip mold or turn-mold)

moodorf

Reaction score
Not trying to prolong this thread but, can someone tell me what this flaw/crack/bubble/thing is? Is it damage or a manufacturer defect? Thanks
Resized_20220516_225011.jpeg

willong

Reaction score
Not trying to prolong this thread but, can someone tell me what this flaw/crack/bubble/thing is? Is it damage or a manufacturer defect? Thanks
View attachment 236954
Assuming that the exterior contour of the bottle is uniform (not noticeably rippled or depressed at that location) it is just a bubble in the glass. Such are quite common in mouth-blown, handmade bottles.

moodorf

Reaction score
It's not depressed at the place, you can feel the little edges of the flaw whatever it is, but I guess I don't know what you mean by "rippled"

willong

Reaction score
It's not depressed at the place, you can feel the little edges of the flaw whatever it is, but I guess I don't know what you mean by "rippled"
When you say that you can feel the edges, is it an open cavity, like in a tooth; or, is it more like a closed blister?

Either way, it appears to be a bubble. Air and gasses could get entrained in the glass melt, or caught in a fold of molten glass as the glass blower picked up a gather on the end of the blowpipe. If the bubble is closed and slightly raised from the surrounding surface, then the hot, trapped gas likely expanded the bubble slightly when the still plastic bottle was released from the mold. The outer surface of the bubble's glass would have to be very thin for that to happen, in my opinion. In other words, the bubble is very close to the outer surface of the bottle, though I can't really tell from the photos.

Rippled: corrugated like sand on a beach or wind-blown dune, or like the cold mold glass appearance that bottle collectors like to call "whittled."

Last edited:

moodorf

Reaction score
oh ok. Yeah it's neither whittled nor open. It's more like a closed blister. I concur it's a bubble, which is acceptable to me. I don't mind manufacturing defects, in fact I think they give the bottle some character. Thanks for replying :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18