Blackwoods hutch bottle Winnipeg Manitoba

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
another interesting bottle I noticed on ebay was a Blackwoods hutch bottle from Winnipeg Manitoba . assume it date from the 1880's - 1890's era . I know that it was one of Winnipeg older bottlers and operated there for a number of years as they have some other bottles which are known for featuring nearly full writing / letters on the bottle so other bottlers couldn't use them .

this one is an aqua colour hutch bottle with big wording of " Blackwoods Winnipeg "

winnipeg-blackwoodsHT.jpg
winnipeg-blackwoodsHT.jpg
winnipeg-blackwoodsHT1.jpg
winnipeg-blackwoodsHT1.jpg

Mjbottle

Reaction score
Awsome bottle, theres a blackwoods from montreal too that i know of.

Donas12

Reaction score
Blackwoods began as “The Manitoba Brewery” in 1882 and soon became known as Blackwoods Bros. In 1901, “Bros” was dropped and “Ltd” was added. In 1921 they became Blackwood’s Beverages(Aerated Water Mfg. Co. Ltd.)
In 1923 The Whistle Bottling Co. took over the business of Blackwoods with the new Whistle name.
And then in 1934 it was changed back to Blackwoods Beverages Ltd.
In 1935, Blackwoods acquired the first Seven Up franchise in Canada. And from 1936-38 it distributed Pepsi-Cola.
Other Beverages they sold in the 30’s were: Kayo, Bluebird, and Fruit Ola.
They continued on with Mission Orange from 40s to mid 60s and then sold Orange Crush by 1965.

Donas12

Reaction score
Here’s a couple early 1900s Blackwoods bottles I have.
Embossed with the message:
“THIS BOTTLE IS OUR PROPERTY ANY CHARGE MADE THEREFOR SIMPLY COVERS ITS USE WHILE CONTAINING GOODS BOTTLED BY US AND MUST BE RETURNED WHEN EMPTY
BLACKWOOD’S LIMITED”
0C2766CE-19D1-45F4-850C-0D8C3F2598C8.jpeg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Here’s a couple early 1900s Blackwoods bottles I have.
Embossed with the message:
“THIS BOTTLE IS OUR PROPERTY ANY CHARGE MADE THEREFOR SIMPLY COVERS ITS USE WHILE CONTAINING GOODS BOTTLED BY US AND MUST BE RETURNED WHEN EMPTY
BLACKWOOD’S LIMITED”
View attachment 218250
That deep green one is nice, never seen one of these in that colour before. I've got one like the one on the left but without the warning text.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Pre-Winnipeg Blackwoods' history chain: Montreal, Quebec (father's business, I think), St. Thomas, Ontario, Sarnia, Ontario (my hometown, in fact), Rat Portage (Kenora), Ontario. They hit a goldmine in a Winnipeg that was pretty much wide open for the first one in who had the capital to break existing locals and keep newbies down and hopefully out. The Blackwoods Bros. had family money behind them. Speaking of breaking existing locals, breaking locals' bottles was another known market share move initiated by the Bros. And that feeds into the story behind all those cool Winnipeg, Manitoba bottles blaring all that heavy and lengthy embossing declaring bottle proprietorship. Sometimes a skull or two got knocked in this beverage war. Don't f**k with Canadians when it comes to their drinks!!!

waynera

Reaction score
Blackwoods began as “The Manitoba Brewery” in 1882 and soon became known as Blackwoods Bros. In 1901, “Bros” was dropped and “Ltd” was added. In 1921 they became Blackwood’s Beverages(Aerated Water Mfg. Co. Ltd.)
In 1923 The Whistle Bottling Co. took over the business of Blackwoods with the new Whistle name.
And then in 1934 it was changed back to Blackwoods Beverages Ltd.
In 1935, Blackwoods acquired the first Seven Up franchise in Canada. And from 1936-38 it distributed Pepsi-Cola.
Other Beverages they sold in the 30’s were: Kayo, Bluebird, and Fruit Ola.
They continued on with Mission Orange from 40s to mid 60s and then sold Orange Crush by 1965.
Pre-Winnipeg Blackwoods' history chain: Montreal, Quebec (father's business, I think), St. Thomas, Ontario, Sarnia, Ontario (my hometown, in fact), Rat Portage (Kenora), Ontario. They hit a goldmine in a Winnipeg that was pretty much wide open for the first one in who had the capital to break existing locals and keep newbies down and hopefully out. The Blackwoods Bros. had family money behind them. Speaking of breaking existing locals, breaking locals' bottles was another known market share move initiated by the Bros. And that feeds into the story behind all those cool Winnipeg, Manitoba bottles blaring all that heavy and lengthy embossing declaring bottle proprietorship. Sometimes a skull or two got knocked in this beverage war. Don't f**k with Canadians when it comes to their drinks!!!
New member responding here.. interesting read. I live in Emerson.. a small town now....but settled early in Manitoba's history. While our history books write about numerous breweries and pop producers in not only what is now known as Emerson....but West Lynne which was on the west side of the river... the mention of these facilities does not list their names. While we have dug and found evidence of Blackwoods and Pilgrim Bros. ..blob and torpedo bottles in West Lynne... often close to the HBC Fort... never have we found or seen a bottle embossed with Emerson on it....other than E. Casselman medicince bottles. The search continues.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu