Blackwoods hutch bottle Winnipeg Manitoba

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
New member responding here.. interesting read. I live in Emerson.. a small town now....but settled early in Manitoba's history. While our history books write about numerous breweries and pop producers in not only what is now known as Emerson....but West Lynne which was on the west side of the river... the mention of these facilities does not list their names. While we have dug and found evidence of Blackwoods and Pilgrim Bros. ..blob and torpedo bottles in West Lynne... often close to the HBC Fort... never have we found or seen a bottle embossed with Emerson on it....other than E. Casselman medicince bottles. The search continues.

not all bottlers used embossed bottles , some used paper labels or no labels at all

most small towns have old medicine bottles from them , it makes sense that you'd find those

there is pop bottles mentioned in local history books or newspapers for which I have been able to find no evidence of , not a single bottle or even a broken shard of one . but there listed and clearly existed at some point in my town so maybe a bottle exists somewhere ?

waynera

Reaction score
not all bottlers used embossed bottles , some used paper labels or no labels at all

most small towns have old medicine bottles from them , it makes sense that you'd find those

there is pop bottles mentioned in local history books or newspapers for which I have been able to find no evidence of , not a single bottle or even a broken shard of one . but there listed and clearly existed at some point in my town so maybe a bottle exists somewhere ?
What is your town if I may ask

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
New member responding here.. interesting read. I live in Emerson.. a small town now....but settled early in Manitoba's history. While our history books write about numerous breweries and pop producers in not only what is now known as Emerson....but West Lynne which was on the west side of the river... the mention of these facilities does not list their names. While we have dug and found evidence of Blackwoods and Pilgrim Bros. ..blob and torpedo bottles in West Lynne... often close to the HBC Fort... never have we found or seen a bottle embossed with Emerson on it....other than E. Casselman medicince bottles. The search continues.
Emerson is a really small town, if you've got even one embossed medicine bottle from a town that size you're pretty lucky. It was fairly expensive to have embossed bottles produced so usually the really small companies only used paper labels on either blank bottles or other bottlers' bottles that they'd managed to scrounge up here and there or bought second hand.

RCO

Reaction score
Emerson is a really small town, if you've got even one embossed medicine bottle from a town that size you're pretty lucky. It was fairly expensive to have embossed bottles produced so usually the really small companies only used paper labels on either blank bottles or other bottlers' bottles that they'd managed to scrounge up here and there or bought second hand.

I've never seen a druggist bottle from a small town in Manitoba yet, the ones I've seen online would of been Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie .

was also reading a book about Dauphin Manitoba and it mentioned several druggists there years ago , so there would of been many different druggists in various parts of Manitoba

as mentioned I doubt any embossed druggist bottles would be common in rural Manitoba , due to cost and small population back then

Donas12

Reaction score
This is the last design that Blackwoods used before they went away from the Hutch altogether.
Displays nicely in the sunlight with a purple hue... 4FBFB4B3-2A27-48CA-B942-D37D275EEEFB.jpeg

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi