Blank slug plates

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mjbottle

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have what i think is a simple question that you guys can help me with..im wondering why some bottles have a blank slugplate? Was this some sort of factory error or is it intentional?, was there a paper lable on it at one point? Looking foreward to reading your replies. Cheers.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It was definitely intentional, I think it was just because they sometimes used a mold which was outfitted to produce custom embossed bottles to make cheaper generic bottles. There probably wasn't enough demand for certain types of generic bottles (not many unembossed Hutchinsons for example) to make a mold specifically to produce them, but the few bottlers who weren't too worried about their bottles getting stolen could order them at a reduced price.

Mjbottle

Reaction score
It was definitely intentional, I think it was just because they sometimes used a mold which was outfitted to produce custom embossed bottles to make cheaper generic bottles. There probably wasn't enough demand for certain types of generic bottles (not many unembossed Hutchinsons for example) to make a mold specifically to produce them, but the few bottlers who weren't too worried about their bottles getting stolen could order them at a reduced price.
Thanks canadianbottles, great info and i think you ansered my other question about if they were more or less valuable due to rarity and from your reply im assuming they arent rare and probably much less valuable. By the way im also canadian from near montreal...are there alot of canadians on this site? Have a good day!

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Yeah MJ bottle I agree with CanuckBottles, and besides, it makes for a great spot to place a label!
~Fred

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thanks canadianbottles, great info and i think you ansered my other question about if they were more or less valuable due to rarity and from your reply im assuming they arent rare and probably much less valuable. By the way im also canadian from near montreal...are there alot of canadians on this site? Have a good day!
Kind of like a slick.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah there are a few, RCO, Canadacan, and JKL are regulars who are Canadian. I'm in Montreal as well by the way.
And yes the blank slug plates are not very valuable at all, although a few which are only base-embossed are collectible if they can still be traced back to a particular bottler.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi