Blob Top Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mapleslee1

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this type of bottle. Ran across it in a field. Thanks Eddie

Attachments

• Blob Top Bottle.jpg
    Blob Top Bottle.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 113

willong

Reaction score
As short as the neck of the bottle is, I suspect it was a Hutchinson-closure bottle. (The closure and its wire loop are missing.) It was mouth-blown, hand finished. The roundish or oval panel is from a blank "slug plate" that could have featured an embossed logo or other information from product producers/bottlers willing to pay for the added feature.

The bottle is in rough condition. but it appears from the photo that the base is octagonal rather than cylindrical in shape. If I am seeing that correctly, the bottle is commonly referred to as a "mug-base hutch" by collectors.

No significant value, other than the joy of discovery, attaches to that genuine, but fairly common, antique.

Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Roy

hemihampton

Reaction score
It's what would be called a mug base Hutchinson or Hutch for short Soda Bottle with a Blank Sluge Plate (no name) Made from around 1879 to around 1910 time frame. Not much value with no name but Rare to find laying in any Field. LEON.

UPDATE: Looks like willong beat me to the question by a few seconds, appears we were both typing at same time.

Johnny M

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this type of bottle. Ran across it in a field. Thanks Eddie
Guess you know it's a hutch by now. This field could be a field of dreams if the frost heaved it up from an undug dump! I would poke a probe in the ground or pop a test hole to see if the soil seems trashy or ashy. Check the surrounding surfaces in a wide radius in the deep grass for more fragments too. Could be the start of something big! Johnny M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch