Blobs, rare SS, and more!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slugplate

Reaction score
It's not a bitters bottle it's a mineral water, the NJ squat you're interested is most likely not a NJ bottle based on my research, and no Newark brewers/bottlers have those initials...
You are exactly correct, my apologies. Hyunadi was a natural mineral water.

slugplate

Reaction score
It's not a bitters bottle it's a mineral water, the NJ squat you're interested is most likely not a NJ bottle based on my research, and no Newark brewers/bottlers have those initials...
However, I have seen some info online that B.W.C. & Co is somehow connected to Krueger Breweries in Newark, NJ. I also saw the beer/soda site and saw it as unknown as well. Be that as it may, I tend to lean at it being an early Krueger bottle. Of course there's nothing concrete, but it makes sense.

slugplate

Reaction score
No need to apologize at all, just wrote that so people know what it is so they don't overpay for one if they see it at a show or antique store... ;)
It surprised me because I assumed bitter quell was a bitters and did no further research. Lesson learned.

hemihampton

Reaction score
However, I have seen some info online that B.W.C. & Co is somehow connected to Krueger Breweries in Newark, NJ. I also saw the beer/soda site and saw it as unknown as well. Be that as it may, I tend to lean at it being an early Krueger bottle. Of course there's nothing concrete, but it makes sense.

If you date that to 1850's early 1860's like you said could not be related to Krueger's Brewing co. Krueger's Brewing co did not open until 1875. Although Gottlieb Krueger did partner with Gottlieb Hill to form Hill & Krueger in 1865-1875. LEON.

Screwtop

Reaction score
I would definitely say early 1860s, late 1850s. I'll take a picture of the blob tomorrow. It's all whittled to heck and back.

Onslow

Reaction score
View attachment 201166

A nice lil' Sharp and Dohme poison....

View attachment 201167

A beauty of a Fred Schorr beer hutch! This is listed as Scarce on Hutchbook. There was a plain one from California beside it, but I decided not to pay the $75 for it.

View attachment 201168

A Hungarian mineral water bottle, found in West Virginia. Odd. the base says "keseru viz forras kocs" Anybody know what that means? Calling Harry Pristis on this one.
i have copied the words from the bottle and will send them to a Hungarian woman friend who lives in Budapest. I tried to translate them using Google but without good results. The word forras (or forrás) may mean source, possibly spring. Keseru translates to "bitter," viz to "water," and kocs to oak--maybe. I'm looking forward to the proper translation.

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I don't know much of anything about translations, particularly Hungarian, but I did recall that Google will translate web pages. After fiddling around on the internet a bit I found the URL: translate.google.com

The left side of the translate page is the 'from' box. It has "Detect Language" and 3 common languages listed, but also a down-arrowhead and if you click that, it has about a hundred languages to select.

I selected Hungarian.

I put in: "keseru viz forras kocs". Google translated that as: "keseri viz hot spruce".
I didn't think that was very good or informative, so I experimented further by putting just parts of it in.
keseru = bitter
keseru viz = bitter water
forras = source
kocs = Quercus.
From my knowledge of trees, I know that Quercus is the genus name for oak trees (for example, Quercus alba = white oak).
So, I'm thinking that keseru viz forras kocs means something like bitter water from oak trees or perhaps just bitter water from trees.

Patagoniandigger

Reaction score
The Hungry bottle looks very similar to a Hunyadi(sp?) bitters bottle. The squats are really nice. As far as NYC blob top beers, I have them coming out of my ears. The pictorial Hutch is a real keeper - hold on to that one.
Hunyadi Janos (first contained bitter then water). Screwtop bottle and another I have embossed Carls Bad on the base are in same shape. I guess they all were made at the same glass house in those years. Al

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora