Blue bottle identification

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

truedigr

Reaction score
I meant Hazard, Hazard & Co. They made one very similar that has / CHEMISTS and both / NEW YORK & NEWPORT. This bottle is very similar and I'm sure they probably had a bottle without / CHEMISTS and with NEW YORK and no NEWPORT. Google it. Ebay has one that sold recently. RC

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
As much as I wish it were a Hazard bottle and we could finally put an end to this mystery, I just can't find any way to fit HAZARD into the shape of the peened-out letters. The first letter is round, so it can't be Hazard & Hazard. I thought maybe Caswell Hazard was one person instead of a a partnership and it had his initials, and it looked good for C. V/Y/T. Haz-, but the next letter is square like an N or M, very unlikely to be an A. After that there's a letter shaped exactly like an S, no way it could be an R. I think we can be quite sure that the name is either ---A--S--R- & Co. or ---A--S, --R- & Co. if I'm correct in where I believe there may be a comma. At this point I think two names is more likely. The first letter must be C, O, or G. The first two letters must be OT, OY, OV, CY, or GY, unless one of them is an initial which seems unlikely because there's no period, or the guy has a name that defies typical Western spelling conventions (i.e. a Polish name). Does anyone have access to an old New York directory? There shouldn't be that many names starting with those five combinations.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
CanadianBottles said:
Does anyone have access to an old New York directory? There shouldn't be that many names starting with those five combinations.
You need to know what year the bottle was made or have access to many of them, they may have only lasted 1 or 2. You could go through years of these that list manufactures and corner drugstores and probably not all of them. THE ERA DRUGGISTS

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like you're right. I wasn't expecting to find the company itself, just the owner since he likely lived in New York for more years than his company was in business, but so far I haven't had any luck finding any names that fit the bottle in the old directories I've found online.

truedigr

Reaction score
I can clearly see an AZ together and possibly an H before the AZ. Possibly LAZELL, BAZIN??? I'm sticking with HAZARD of some sort.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I see the HAZ, and I thought it was a Hazard when you first posted that, but I'm pretty sure that after the Z there's something that isn't an A, and almost positive that there's an S after that. It's not absolutely impossible for it to be Hazard if the person doing the peening-out did weird shapes over certain letters, but then you've got two unexplained letters before Hazard and three letters after it. Lazell, Bazin is the right number of letters but the fourth letter is triangular, so there's no way it could be an E. Now here's an idea: what if no one can recognize the name because the bottle never actually went into production? Maybe there was a mold prepared for a company that went out of business before their shipment of bottles arrived, and then the glass company re-purposed the unused mold to make generic bottles.

truedigr

Reaction score
The other 2 could be initials. After Hazard branched away from his partners, he could have started his own Drug Co. Some of the other letters could be DRUG CO. Hazard Sons & Co. Hazard Bro & Co. are also possibilities. They could have messed up the embossing from the start. A New York digger or collector could hold the key or have the answer. This is definitely a mystery.

truedigr

Reaction score
Is the base square like a Hazard bottle or rectangle like the Citrate?

truedigr

Reaction score
There was a large firm in New York called E. C. Hazard & Co., but they distributed food products such as catsup, olives, pickles.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis