Blue Crackled Pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Very interesting. Thank you so much. I am very interested in learning about the pontil era. I am including some photos of another bottle i have with a pontil mark. Can you please help me date this one? It's small. 5.5" tall. Light aqua in color. Any insight I can get is much appreciated. I just don't know too much about this topic so I am gathering as much info as I can.
Yeah that's an actual pontil-era bottle, not a modern art piece. It should date to no later than the 1860s. Hard to say what it originally held, apart from it not being a beverage bottle.

JDMac270

Reaction score
Thank you very much! Yea, i am curious as to what this bottle would have held. The opening at the top is very small.

gdog68

Reaction score
Hard to tell with some slick pontil bottles with what the contents where. Some slicks are easy to now what was there contents.

gdog68

Reaction score
This is just a guess but maybe it held medicine, tonic for hair?

JDMac270

Reaction score
That sounds like very good possibilities to me, especially medicine. Opening is only 3/8". The bottle is very light weight. I don't even like to
handle it much for fear of breaking it. lol

hemihampton

Reaction score
that's very clean, smooth & non crude for a Pontil. never seen a thin lightweight pontiled puff with such a big heavy top, seems odd, most thin puffs have a thin rolled back lip or rolled in lip. not sure how easy it would be to heat thin glass to thick glass & combine the 2? not many bubbles in the glass. Almost looks reproduction to me but I'm far from any pontil or glass blowing expert?

JDMac270

Reaction score
After you mentioned not many bubbles in the glass i grabbed it and looked closely. There is actually a lot of bubbles. They are just really small.
In addition, the thickness of the top is about an 1/16". There is also some very light exterior scratches that have to be looked at very close to see.

Last edited:

JDMac270

Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of something like that and you could be right! Fits along with the size. Thank you!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum