blue?????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

addicted

Reaction score
Hi guys i'm back with a bottle. I have been gathering tons of info from the people on this sight. I have a blue bottle that was found in my dump. It is square in shape. About 5 inches tall and 1 1/2 inches wide and has a circle on the bottom with an M or W on the bottom. I'm new but most of the blue bottles on this site have been pill or poison[8|]?that i have seen. Know where i can start my search???

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
A good place to start would be to post a pic or a scan to the thread. From the collective memory here, you may get an ID or direction to do your own research.

Otherwise, you'll have to start searching the archives for "cobalt."

Try "Milk of Magnesia" or "Phillips" first.

------Harry Pristis

Bluebelle

Reaction score
A lot of dark blue bottles that height are Bromoseltzer, but most I know of were round. The W or M might actually be a W for Wheaton, which is/was a big manufacturer of medicine and scientific bottles as well as the well-known collectibles. Wheaton is in NJ.

diginit

Reaction score
Howdy Addicted,Welcome!

Do your bottles look like one of these?Here's a Quote from a previous post. A response to one of my posts actually.There are a few more on this site. Awesome color huh?Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A common bottle but always a beauty in my book. They are popular with casual antique collectors and often labeled as "old" bottles in antique shops and bring a few dollars. I think it is a nice bottle and it has always been a favorite of mine, I will pick them up when I find them, they have such a nice color. From the net:

quote:

Another Stamford resident whose product became nationally and even internationally known was Charles H. Phillips, inventor of milk of magnesia. Phillips, a pharmacist from England, moved to Glenbrook where he established the Phillips Camphor and Wax Company. It was in Stamford that he concocted and received a patent in 1873 for «hydrate of magnesia mixed with water» which he called «Milk of Magnesia.» Phillips produced milk of magnesia as well as other pharmaceuticals at his Glenbrook firm which incorporated in 1885 as the Charles H. Phillips Company. After Phillips' death in 1882, his four sons ran the corporation until 1923, at which time it was acquired by Sterling Drug, Inc. Phillip's Milk of Magnesia is of course still manufactured today, but the last familiar blue bottle to be filled in Stamford was in 1976 when production at the Glenbrook plant was phased out.

Thanks for sharing this classic bottle, take care,

Hf98253.jpg

Attachments

• Hf98253.jpg
    Hf98253.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 106

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member