Book to check out.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I bought this book several years ago and found the words used, to be too different from my vocabulary, that all I did is look at the pictures and put it on a shelf Now - I just went through an extensive reading.

The reason being – that there is some good information worth covering. The first subject I took an interest in. where called “BELLARMINES†– Never heard of them! They are a ceramic bottle that apparently fitted into use between the goat skin bag and glass bottles in Europe. They were a type of Rhenish stoneware manufactured in Frechen. Page 55 in the book; “A GUIDE TO Artifacts of Colonial America†by Ivor Noel Hume.

These bottles were made to hold from a pint to five gallons. They were made of a gray-bodied stone ware and coated with an iron-oxide slip that when fired, gave them brown mottle skin coating. when fired. They also had a face medallion formed on them. I don’t think many of them made it to American soil. But they were in the book.

The next two chapters cover “Glass Liquor BOTTLESâ€, and it includes dated outlines of bottle forms from 1652 to 1834. The next chapter covers “Glass Pharmaceutical BOTTLESâ€, with some illustrated bottle shapes. After that there is a chapter on ceramic bottles..

The book has a lot of chapters on subjects diggers would get a lot out of. From – buckles to buttons, to clay pipes, ceramics and horseshoes - at least twenty chapter subjects of artifacts diggers find.
RED Matthews .

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
When was that published Red? I think I had one back in the 70's but it got too water damaged in a basement flood and I had to throw it out. I never really got to read it over.
It sounds familiar anyway.

fer_de_lance

Reaction score
Red, Examples of Bellarmine or Bartmann jugs.
Tim

45B424E0FF384AE1BA142E2224B218F2.jpg

Attachments

• 45B424E0FF384AE1BA142E2224B218F2.jpg
    45B424E0FF384AE1BA142E2224B218F2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 83

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Beauties Tim, Those are neat and they have the press embossed faces, I never heared of them before reading this book more throughly. And the book was published February 1991, ERIC.
Thanks for the replies guys. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky