BOOZ Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Whoser .... yes it is one of the tell tale signs , if you have the chamfered corner roof variant ( GVII-4 ). The chamfered roof corner does not get into the second row of shingles on the original.
Do a search here on the forum of E.G. Booz ( a lot of the info I used was from Tom Haunton which whiskeyman had mentioned in his post ), as we had quite a disscussion on the authentic and the repro some time back. When I fell just short of an argument with a person that didn't want to believe that the Booz he had bought was a repro. I presented all the facts and I think he still thought he had an original..... I guess it was hard to swallow finding out that he had laid down all those $$$ for a repro. It wouldn't be the first time this happened with a BOOZ .

Charlie do you know Jim Mitchell out of Florida ? I'm sure you probably do as he dabbles in Whiskies. He bought a whole collection of Clevenger Booz's at the Sarasota , Florida Show a few years back. Probably 60 or so Booz's . Guess what he found that the owner did not see..... An original Booz was amongst them..... And he sold it at Denver Show for more than he had given for the whole grouping of 60. They are hard to catch sometimes and apparently the owner didn't even know he was sitting on a original.
Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN...I do know Jim , but hadn't heard about this...

WHOS...the repos are also lacking the period after St.
(small t)...and many are embossed with ST.

There's quite a few repo variations out there, beginning in the 1920's and up to the modern one from China.

Clevenger Bros made the earliest ones with both a straight roof ridge and with chamfered roof corners. Some of their most recent ones are marked with a CB. Earlier ones just had a paper label IDing them as from Clevenger Bros Glass Works. Most Clevenger Bros cabins have the St. embossing.
They also made some for the Bi-Centennial which are more "adaptations' than repos. They are embossed with assorted motifs and 1776-1976.

There is a group of cabins made by possibly Clevenger or maybe someone else. They have longer necks (usually) and the ST embossing.

Next are the ones made by Armstrong Glass Co for Old Mister Boston whiskey...They have the Fed.Law Forbids,etc, motto upon them. They are ABM

Next , I guess were the Booze Bottles...made in Italy back in the 1960s'. The base is marked Booze Bottle. These appear to be BIM, until one looks closely and sees the neck seam is 90 degrees from the side seams...an indication an early Owens bottle making machine was used.

Then. we have the Wheatons made beginning about 1970...they are marked Nuline or Wheaton...and are ABM

Lastly are the ones made in China. The seam is on the front/back of the cabin and not upon the sides and the neck is unusual in that it does not blend with the roof ridge but has slight indentations to either side....

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Charlie .... this was several years back. I over heard Ed Herrold say Jim sold the Booz at the Expo in Denver .
And Charlie ...... Tom also mentioned that some of the originals have also been found with the period missing. Due to an underblown mold or a dirty mold. So people should not rely on just one tell tale sign to indentify the originals. The period is the most common method used by most collectors......but it's not always reliable.
I believe the Booz bottle was the most reproduced bottle . There's a lot of repros out there by quite a few different companies.
Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN..you're correct about the period being unreliable. I was pulling stuff outta my head instead of referencing Haunton's book,,,(yeah, I have it...LOL)...too lazy to get it out & read...ie..quote from. Bad me.

I 'd say you're also correct about the Booz bottle being the one most widely reproduced. Next, I would guess ,would be the Washington/Father of His Country-General Taylor flasks...basing this on how many I have seen or owned over the years.

Just looked around at my display case and decided to withdraw that and instead substitute scroll flasks...There's one Italian repo and different groupings of Clevenger's...some were made with slug plates and commemorate different events in our history. One I have was made for the FOHBC years ago. And there was the set issued for the Bi-Centennial. I see others all the time on Ebay.

Many of these would fall in the "adaptation" classification as they aren't actually repos...But the "old" mold was reworked/adapted to produce a different flask that could not be mistaken for a repo...so, maybe my 1st comment about the 2nd most reproduced bottle was correct. The Washngton/Taylors could fool the novice easily and they haven't been adapted in any other way.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
This is a recent Booz repo made in China. Note: the neck does not blend into the roofline...Seams also are on the front & back...Machine made.

Jh15352.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15352.jpg
    Jh15352.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 121

whiskeyman

Reaction score
this is a Clevenger Bros...1776-1976 Booz. Blown in Mold.

Nl28883.jpg

Attachments

• Nl28883.jpg
    Nl28883.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 115

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Here are two Armstrong Glass Company Booz bottles...circa 1950's...They have Fed Law Forbids,etc...Machine made.

Lj21629.jpg

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Here's another label for the Armstrong Booz...

Eb87069.jpg

Attachments

• Eb87069.jpg
    Eb87069.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 118

whiskeyman

Reaction score
These 4 Booz Cabins are all made by Wheaton...although 3 have the "Nuline" base embossing....The amethyst one has "Wheaton." Circa 1970s....Machine made.

Fc90095.jpg

Attachments

• Fc90095.jpg
    Fc90095.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 121

whiskeyman

Reaction score
While not a Booz, this is a "cabin" and made by Wheaton back in the 1970s....

By76292.jpg

Attachments

• By76292.jpg
    By76292.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member